Jackie asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 11 months ago

Is it healthier to be vegetarian?

I have not eaten meat since I was 10, and Im 17 now! Over the last few months though, I have developed some bad reactions to soy, and now everything is thrown off. I am worried about my protein and nutrient intake without soy. I am actually considering maybe eating fish and some bird meats... but Im still on the fence. Does anyone have opinions on either side, especially now that soy is out of the picture? Some say vegetarian is cleansing while others say I am lacking important food and that meat is natural and important. Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

It is certainly a lot healthier for you to be a vegetarian, and it seems people are shifting more toward this in the last 5 years or so. Being a non-vegetarian myself, I personally have been making vegetarian choices more these days.

There are numerous advantages of becoming vegetarian -

1. Lower incidence of heart disease

2. Lower chance of diabetes

3. Lower cancer risk

4. Animal welfare

I had published an article on this a while ago, the link of which I have included at the bottom of this article, should you wish to read it.

as opposed to having mcdonalds every day well it is much better for you.

Only vegetables will not gonna fulfill all your daily requirements.

Meat is healthier than soy. Obviously you want to avoid processed meats like hot dogs and lunch meat but otherwise meat is healthy. 

Mankind was not meant to be vegetarians.

Our bodies require animal fats & Omega 3 oils from fish, olives & etc to be healthy. Protein is needed. Milk, cheeses, butter etc are better/healthier from grass fed cows than milk products from the cows fed meat & grains & ? with very little grass/hay if any.

Eggs are good protein. Hens do not require a Rooster to produce eggs. Store bought eggs are not fertilized. They can NOT ever become a baby chick.

Fat is what holds our body organs in place.

Garlic cleanses arteries. Certain herbal teas can purify the blood.

Some store bought meats contain sodium nitrate a cancer causing chemical.

Avoid meats with added msg, nitrates, hormones, water; yes some chicken & hamburger have water/broths added for extra weight.

Eat meats cooked well. No blood. Raw/rare meats can contain parisites, aomeba, worms, ecoli & more.

Variety of nuts & dried fruits/berries is good veggie food.

Soy isn't even that great for us, and if you're buying tofu, it's a processed food, so i don't see the point in eating that crap.

You can eat some fish or chicken if you want -- or beans like garbanzos, pintos, great northern, etc. They are protein packed. But also high carb so stick to a serving at the time.

I think the natural fats in meat are very healthy for us. Oils made from natural foods are too, if there are not added ingredients (like avocado or coconut oil). We need to read the labels to find out. Refined oils/fats are unhealthy.

It is possible to obtain an adequate balance of proteins, fats and carbs from a vegetarian diet, but you need to do the math and plan meals.  The bare minimum requirement of protein is only .36 grams per pound of body weight.  But if you want a lean athletic physique, you will need 2 to 3 times that amount.  That means having a high protein source with each meal.  Grains and cruciferous vegetables have some protein but you will also need to include lots of nuts.  If you are only going to include one animal source,  it should be eggs.  They got a bad rap in the later half of the twentieth century,  but they are now known to be a superfood.  The protein, fats, cholesterol and many other nutrients are all beneficial.   Three large eggs is equivalent to about 4 ounces of meat.

• Tavy

Vegetarian is not cleansing, people dont eat meat because they dont like eating animals. If your diet is limited then you need to eat protein, pointless saving animals if it makes you ill.

Yes and no meat has the amino acids we need soy can cause prostate cancer in men humans are meat eaters by instinct you should include meat in you diet abit but if you don't like it tho its your life but if ur not eating it because of animal rights well meat will always have to be served to the world

Eat the fish.  Eat the meat.  Have a banana and an avocado and a handful of mixed nuts.