Is it true that people who are medium functioning autistics can never live independently?

George, I have mild Autism and I live completely independently. I have a college degree, I work full time, I drive my own car, and like every other adult, I vote and pay taxes. I've been called for jury duty a few times, too. I pay my own bills and manage my own finances, and I worry about the same things that most neurotypical people do.

What you say is not true. Autistic adults CAN live independently, if they get the right supports and help. And they can achieve great success in the workplace, too. There are plenty of celebrities out there who are Autistic. Bill Gates, the late Steve Jobs, our current president- and that's just for starters. I have a relative who has Asperger's and holds a PhD in engineering. He works for the government. I also know several other people who have advanced degrees and are at least mildly on the Autism spectrum.

What IS true, however, is that Autism is still a very HEAVILY STIGMATIZED disability in American society. People who have the misfortune to be born with it, the way I was, often face severe trauma and abuse as they mature. And even when they are adults, they still face discrimination and lack of acceptance by others around them.

its better not toelave them alone. why would you do so. first thing arose inmy mind.

i dont think thats true, i might have aspergers and i live alone