Best motorcycle for me?

So I’m a girl who’s always been interested in motorcycles I’ve wanted one for the longest time and now I’ve finally decided I’m going to get one. The issue is I don’t know which kind would be best. Im about 5’11 and not too heavy so I wouldn’t want anything too big especially since it will be my first bike. I’d like a bike thats a little forgiving, but I’m also not sure what CC I should get either... any advice would be helpful.

Take the motorcycle safety foundation course and whatever riding courses your state requires (if any).  The idea here is for you to get used to riding something that's distinctly heavier than a bicycle.

For your first motorcycle see if you can buy something like a used Honda Nighthawk 250.  Ride that around for 500 miles or so.

Then sell that, and buy whatever you want.  Sit on the motorcycle before you buy it.  You might find a Yamaha VStar 650 to be too low to the ground, and some of the big police motorcycles to be too tall.  Some of the big touring and sports-touring motorcycles are heavy.

I'm at the osteoporosis age, so I would want a lightweight motorcycle like the Honda CB300F.

Try a Suzuki Burgman. East to ride, lots of storage under the seat.

If you never rode before, but are good with bicycles, it will be good to start small and take your time learning to handle the bike in traffic. Test ride a few 125's.If you already know how to ride, try out Yamahas, Kawasakis, Honda...up to 250-300 cc.

No matter what you decide, you will always  want more displacement, speed, Hp. It's 

more what type of riding you Do . If you do  mostly city. a Rebel 250cc or even a 440 might be perfect..

If you ever go on hiway, you will find you need a 650 or 750 cc or better.

Bear in mind no bike does "all" equally well. A dual Sport is great if you do about 50% in the dirt, but Not as well as a dedicated dirt bike. Nor is a dirt bike always practical, as they often need trailering. A big tourer  like a GoldWing is Excellent on the Laughlin run, but too much in town.

I don't know a ton about motorcycles but it seems like it would make sense to get a light and low CC version of the type of bike you intend on riding...

Like honda rebel if you're looking at cruisers or ninja 300 if you're riding sportbikes.

300 cc rice burner imo

• Anton

You can good advice?  Talk to me about Why you want to ride and Where you will ride.

At 5'11" you can ride just about any motorcycle, although you might be cramped on a sporty bike.

Without any other information, I would suggest a 250cc dual-sport -- light, easy to ride, fabulous in the city where it ignores bad pavement,  pot holes, curbs, and doesn't matter if it is dropped.

• CB

You learn to ride first by taking a comprehensive motorcycle course -- MSF in the USA has one. That will do several things - find out if you have what it takes to ride a motorcycle, teach you to ride a motorcycle and give you enough experience to decide on a motorcycle. 

Simply WANTING to ride isn't enough, you need some serious focus and coordination.

My suggestion would be if everything goes well buy a used Honda Rebel - very forgiving and you can ride it for many thousands of miles and get over all the beginner drops and learning curve and probably sell it for nearly what you bought if for......as the saying goes your current motorcycle is just the one before your NEXT motorcycle. 

The 300 cc rice-burners are all good starter bikes.

• Dze

alot of women ride the shadow 700-800cc v twin type bikes .. a suzuki m or c50 is about the same size ... theyre beginner friendly, low seat height, ride good, and have alittle get up and go to