Mattman asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Are there any bikes that has automatic transmission?

I meant bicycles, not motorcycles.

Not impossible. Using a CVT it should be fairly easy to do without the problem of crunching/unwanted changes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuVinci_Continuously...

I owned one 20 years ago. Worst bike I ever owned. Every time you dropped off or popped up on a curb the chain would come off the sprockets.

• Mattman

It sounds like it's  extremely poor design

Something like the Landrider comes along every decade or so. They usually use the same method: centrifugal force determines when to shift, which means it automatically shifts to the gear you DON'T want. No, I'm not kidding.

With modern electronics, there's no reason why a system couldn't be built that automatically kept the bike in the right gear for a perfect 80 rpm cadence - but the sensors and electronics to make it actually work well would raise the cost of the bike to something that most beginners would be unwilling to pay. And shifting is something that's easily learned in a few hours' time; so cyclists of any experience level above zero have no interest in paying ANY extra for auto-shifting.

• David

I’ve ridden one, seen two others, read about a 4th:

- a two-speed internal gear hub that would shift on cadence.(not to be confused with the 2-speed kickback hub)

- the Land Rider derailer gear bike. Opionions differ as to whether it was a poor idea poorly executed, or If better engineering possibly have made more people see the merit of the system. It certainly didn’t help that it was a relatively cheap bike to start with.

- Shimano had a string of ”high-end utility components” (my description) which included electric shifting that could be set to automatic. Very rare elsewhere, but I believe somewhat less rare in Japan.

- there was a guy/small shop who built their own controllers to go with Shimano electronic shifting. One of the features they offered was automatic shifting.

It seems like it’s not an overall great idea, due to the characteristics of humans as engines, and the way we ride. A rider can generate lots of torque. An IGH won’t shift even during seated pedaling, and shifting a derailer bike under full power is usually crunchy and unpleasant. Hard on the equipment too.

I can see an automatic shifting system on a derailer bike working for seated, uneventful riding. But for more dynamic situations, I think I’d prefer to stick with manual.

I doubt that it would be practical, but there are electronic wireless gear systems now available.

Are you referring to a bicycle or a motorcycle?  Question posted in the cycling (bicycle) section.  Several years ago, there was the LandRider bicycle with (supposed) auto shifting.  YouTube video below.  Problem was...it was JUNK and constantly needed attention.  

Recently, companies like Shimano have been coming up with some new ideas.  But slow to catch on.  https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/CuttingEdge/stor...   What's so difficult about changing gears on a bicycle? 🤔  You start off in one of the lower to middle gears.  As speed increases, you up-shift into a higher gear.  As you slow down or pedaling becomes more difficult (like climbing a hill) you DOWNSHIFT into a lower (easier) gear.  So easy...a caveman could do it.  

You Tube video... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMPK3TziPs

Youtube thumbnail

• Dze

i think honda did make one back in the 80's or something ...

yes mopeds................