Is a mother calling his adult son once a day too much or is it normal? ?

Once a day is too much.

To me it sounds like she's needy.

If the son is not bothered......who else should care.

normal. it's your mom who gives a fk if they call once a day or you call her once a day. if i dated a girl and she got pissed about that she can fk off. my sisters bf actually calls his mom daily. none of us treat him any differently. 

It is if they have a close relationship. It seem like women get jealous over anything nowadays. 

My boyfriend mother use to do it for the first couple years I dated him and they use to talk about nothing, but now it would be surprising if she calls once a month.  I'm thinking maybe she feels secured enough that Im taking good care of her son, I don't know.  I use to think it was strange

It's normal parents are supposed to keep it touch. I talk to my parents every day.

Depends on the mother.