Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Does this could like Autism?? I need answer!?

Ok my son will be 2 you’re old in March 2020 I notice a few thing that he does like Walks on his tippy toes he daydream a lot & seem to be in his own world I feel like he talks but not a lot for his age he does say mom mom dada pop pop eat eat at at first I thought I was over thinking about tho whole autism thing but  I

Had parent teacher conference with his daycare teacher and she basically told me my son was delayed with learning and he has no type of interest in playing with the other kids she said it’s like he rather play alone and he does his own thing he wanders off  does this sound like autism pls help ( we go to the doctors Tuesday’s )

Favorite Answer

there are many causes of developmental issues.  The language sounds like it may be about the 12 month milestone (a few words).  It becomes a concern when the developmental level is 25-33 percent behind.  That means at 15-16 months of age if he only has a few words, he should be screened for developmental issues in general.

Most kids have a MINIMUM 10 words at 17 months, but 50 words is more typical.

Your doc will probably be a waste of time.  The doc should have picked up on this himself.  Ask the doc about any ear/hearing issues.

If you are in the US, call the state early intervention program (daycare can give you the number if they didn't already).  they should actually do a full assessment of developmental areas (language, motor, social emotional, cognition, self help).  services are free to lower income families and sliding scale for higher income in states that charge.  you don't need a diagnosis to get services....and the eval may help you get a diagnosis later on.

ask the pediatrician for a referral to a specialist such as a developmental pediatrician.

getting a diagnosis does help you understand your child and help you navigate the best way to help.

some kids are just delayed and catch up by the time they are 5...some continue to have a mild disability...and others will need more help

start reading about ABA, the most common therapy....read about good ABA and bad....rigid ABA traumatizes a child...there is good ABA that is more child centered, teachers useful skills like communication and self help.  there is a big movement to accept some 'stimming' or other behaviors that are harmless.....don't worry if your kid doesn't look typical.....as he gets older and understands more you can work with him to limit stimming to appropriate times and ways..it doesn't need to be stopped just because he is in public...but if he does have autism and will be in the competitive job market, he will need to learn to control the stims.......or other behaviors associated with autism at times (ie during break times or subtle things during work time).

• SimplytheFACTS

rigid ABA is suited for severe cases where DANGEROUS behavior needs to be modified..where severe non compliance is making the child unable to function/communicate basic needs/participate in basic self care/being dangerously destructive

• Tavy

i am in the UK and he sounds normal to me. My son prefered to play on his own, your little one is not even 2 years old and he has a long way to go. At his age he is still making sense of the world and his speech will come, mine was not talking in sentences until he was almost 3 then we could not shut him up. Many kids walk on tippy toes, i did read this up and that also is normal.

he does not need a lifetime label at his age, give him time, they all develop at different ages.

• Janay2 months agoReport

My son also is hard to teach and have a hard time staying focus his attention span is short 

That doesn't sound like autism to me. Autistic kids have very specific repetitive behaviors like banging their heads. They have tantrums in school that disrupt the classes. Your son has a speech delay, and you need to consult someone about that. 

My daughter was in kindergarten and 1st grade with an autistic child. She was the "bossy" little girl that the teacher put in charge of this student, because she was very patient with helping him. His mother said that they had had a terrible time getting him started in school, but he was fine when he knew my daughter was going to be in his class. He had meltdowns, poor coordination, repetitive behaviors, and all the usual symptoms. Your son sounds more like I was in school. He doesn't have to act like every other kid to be "normal". 

• Starlight 1

Gypsy, not all Autistic people engage in behaviors like head banging. I certainly didn't, and I have mild Autism.

• Blearg

I recommend reading a few books. These two are highly recommended:

1. What Your Child on the Spectrum Really Needs: Advice From 12 Autistic Adults 

2. Neurotribes by Steve Silberman

3. Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential--and Endangered

Autism diagnosis isn't a perfect science. Both of these books will help you to be prepared if your child develops differently than you expect. 

Either way, whether your child ends up being autistic or not, a bit of extra knowledge might help you raise him a bit easier. 

I'm no doctor. but my nephew has autism and it does sound like it. but you should go to a doctor for him to get evaluated.

sorry if this isn't much help

• PR

You should talk with his doctor to determine this. Someone I knew had a daughter who walked on her toes, but had an orthopedic problem which needed treatment.

Some children are quiet, as well. 

Talk with the doctor. Also be sure to read books with your son; use children's picture dictionary books to help teach item names. Read children's picture books and the pic dictionaries for at least 10 minutes every day, but longer would be better if possible, especially at bedtime.

Speak in easy to understand sentences with your son, so he can copy them:

"Do you want the RED cup or the BLUE cup?" (Child points to the blue cup). "Oh, you want the BLUE cup. Here, I'll put milk in the BLUE cup."

Encourage your son to talk and give him plenty of opportunities to respond. If he is only saying things that have a double word (mom mom, dada, pop pop, eat eat), ask yourself if you are modeling language he can repeat, reasonably, and more than these sort of words. You need to model language for your son that is understandable, and talk to him a lot, labeling his world, a lot.

Of course, you've had his hearing checked.

Additionally, if he has a problem communicating, he may also have trouble playing and interacting with other children.

No one on here can diagnose your son - that is what doctors go to medical school for. See what the doctor says, and work with your son.

Also, have other children over for him to play with, so he gets used to interacting with them.

Don't know if you can use periods (.) in your sentences, but it would be a lot easier to understand. Hopefully, you are working at communicating clearly with your son.

• keerok

It sounds like he's in the spectrum. Don't go to just any doctor. What your son needs to see is a Developmental Pediatrician. Look for a hospital that has one. Not a "regular" pediatrician, not a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, not a general practitioner, nor an ER physician, not a teacher, not a therapist. It must be a Developmental Pediatrician. Only a doctor like that can accurately diagnose your son's condition.

• Starlight 1

Any mental health professional can diagnose Autism if he or she is qualified to do so.

I guess its ok but always ok.

I really don’t think it’s Autism but I’d give him a checkup, he could just be doing his own thing... sounds like a kid lmao he is only 2 years old. But if it is Autism please don’t disown him.

• Janay2 months agoReport

I love my son I hope he doesn’t have it but if so I will get the help he needs he also spins in circles A lot as well 

Yes, it does sound like he has signifigant risk factors.