If someone is HIV positive & they make you a sandwich & a tindy bit of blood goes onto the bread & you eat it, can you get infected?

I had a Subway sandwich yesterday & I'm pretty sure the guy was wearing gloves but as my sandwich came out the oven it caught on the paper & I asked for kechup but he had to change the paper as my sandwich was stuck to the paper & there was red on the outside I'm sure he was wearing gloves & it was probably just ketchup & I doubt the guy has HIV but if he did & I ate a drop of the blood on my sandwich do I need to get tested?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a joke but I'm actually paranoid about it now

Favorite Answer

Yes you can. 

I don't know where you are getting your sandwiches, but I would go somewhere else instead. 

I was trying to be amusing, but then I read your update. After your update, I would say you are just worrying too much. It is ketchup. I thought you were watching somebody bleeding all over your food. 

• Boo2 months agoReport

Nope & there was no knife or anything sharp between the Subway oven & wrapping my sandwich, sorry for being a dramatic I was needed reassurance

ddddddddddssaadddddddddddddddddddddd

• Edna

No; you won't contract HIV. Most people have likely already been served by an HIV+ person, didn't know it, and didn't contract the virus. That's because HIV is transferred only from fluids to fluids—blood to blood or through sex. 

But why did you eat a sandwich, if you thought there might be blood on the bread?

• Joe

Yes it is possible but the chances seem low. I would be worried too.  Sorry.

• Rick

The acids in your stomach will kill most ALL viruses.  It would need to go right into YOUR blood stream ...........

No. The virus can't survive being outside the body for more than a few minutes and you can't get it by eating it.

Where does this Stupid question come from?

Not very likely.  The HIV virus is pretty weak and would be destroyed by your stomach acids.  IF you had an open sore in your mouth there's a remote chance.

• Boo2 months agoReport

Thank you