samihmah asked in SportsVolleyball · 11 months ago

I want to do play high school volleyball next year. Will I be able to wear leggings instead of spandex during games for religious reasons?

I am in high school. Due to religious reasons, do you think I will be allowed to wear leggings instead of the shorts spandex? I prefer to dress more modestly so...

You should check with the athletic department at your school, but it shouldn’t be a problem.  I 

know that on my daughter’s freshmen volleyball team one girl wore leggings and a hijab.  She had no problems playing.

You can always ask. That's basically what a Muslim friend of mine did while playing in college.

• Kent L

National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) which governs high school sports rules allow volleyball players to legally wear shorts, skirts, leggings, or even a combination of these as long as they are the same general color as the spandex shorts that teammates are wearing.

Source(s): I am a high school volleyball referee and have to check the legality of uniforms prior to any volleyball match.
  • Depends on your school (and the region/area/district governing body's) policy on altering a uniform. Why not go and talk to the coach and ask?

• martin

It depends on your school's administration and the coach of the team. Your request sounds perfectly reasonable as long as you are consistent with the colors worn by the rest of the team.

Um, really? Is that all your religion means to you? I don't recall Jesus ever mentioning spandex. I do r ecall him mentioning being kind and welcoming to foreign immigrants, though. Have you done that?

• Susie

That’s a question for your school principle.