Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 months ago

Is my fish dying?

I just got two new (small) goldfish

in my 20 gallon tank. I throughly cleaned EVERYTHING, then put everything in the tank. I put tap water in the tank, with instant stress coat water conditioner and Epsom salt. I let it it filter through for 30 min. I let the bags with the fish sit in the tank for 30 min before letting them in. Now they are swimming to the top and floating to the bottom. They are also just laying on the bottom. I turned off the tank light and im just letting them be. I am lowkey stressed that they will die. 

Talk to experts, take the right steps.

• Ocimom

You put too much chemicals in the water and didn't let it cycle for several weeks.  BTW 20 gallons is NOT large enough for 2 goldfish.  You need at least a 40-50 gallon tank for the fish to be healthy and grow properly.  And they are messy fish and need a good filter with temps at 60-65 degrees.  Only ONE goldfish can be in 20 gallons and not for very long.

• Raven

The tank needs to be cycled before adding fish. They are dying of ammonia. Read up on it.

• PR

Even though you added Stress Coat, the water was probably not ready. It is exciting to start a new tank, but it needs to build up the proper level of good bacteria, and this has likely not happened.

Not sure why you have added Epsom salt?

What is the temperature?

Water is probably too "new". Tap water is not "fish ready".

Why did you put epsom salt in the tank?  

You said you cleaned thouroghly, hopfully you did not use soap, and rinsed any other cleaning solution away very well.  

Next time acclimate fish, dont just float them.  

Open the bags the fish are in, add a small amount of tank water to the bag, no more then ten percent of the amount of water that the petstore put in the bag.  Then let the fish float for 20 minutes.  Add more water, float 20 more minmute, repeat a few times before letting the fish out into the tank.

Hopefully they will be ok!

It is always safest to fishless cycle the tank!

i would hope not

I don't know.