Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 10 months ago

Saving $$ on groceries ?

We’re a family of 6. There are 4 teens in the house, 3 of which are boys and they are constantly hungry. I spend @$250 a week on groceries and I’d love to find ways to cut back. Coupons aren’t for anything that I buy or it’s buy 3 items to get $0.50 off 1. That’s just a waste of $$$. Buying from a bulk store is super expensive and goes faster and I have nowhere to store it. How can I get a grocery bill under $200 with 4 hungry kids? 

• edward

My family spent $200 biweekly on groceries and there were 8 in the house, granted that was 2004 and then there was 6 in the house till 2011 and prices have gone up since then.

off store brands are much cheaper, places like Aldis etc. have many things even cheaper then wally world. Put your fat asss kids to work cleaning the house etc. take their phones away and tell them they ate the money it cost to pay for it. IF they are old enough tell them to get a part time job and help pay for the food they eat,, IF they are 18 or older kick them out and tell them they are old enough to leave the nest.. 

The 99 cent store sells name brand foods sometimes for way cheaper 

Killing your entire family with a bomb tends to help.

you should have thought about that before having 4 children 

too late now..... 

1st think cut out cable / dish TV etc and internet  that will pay for it 

your pre-excuses shows you do not want help just to whine 

you cut their portions. they can still survive.

• Tulip

Start by figuring out what kind of crap you are buying then take a close look at the meals you cook.

• .

This is what I do. I don't buy soup, I collect the left overs save them and make soup out of them. 

1 blender add water finely chop up the left overs and add them to the leftovers, add the spices and herbs that you would think will go well, if you think it's too watery add extra mashed or baked potato.

During my grandmothers time all what soup was, was leftovers added herbs, spices and water and/or milk and sometimes plain yogurt.

Pizza was just an empty pizza shell and stir fried leftovers, add a bit of ketchup and herbs spices and cheese, add to pizza shell, bake 25 minutes, and enjoy, if it wasn't enough, make a salad.

Let nothing go to waste.

We had five of us with three boys. I managed by buying cheaper meat, anything discount and always having plenty of bread and spreads. We didn't order in. I bought as much fruit and vegetables fresh when I could. Always shop with a list. Supper included unlimited potatoes, pasta or rice. I clearly identified treats and when to have them.

We often had ice cream or chocolate bars on Saturday night after we all did chores.The kids never went hungry, but they certainly weren't picky eaters.

My last bill, for the two of us was $85 this week.

Good luck with it all.

Look over what you buy and see which of those things you can cut down on, like junk food and sweets and so forth.

Buy more ingredients and cook a variety of meals, that the way to save money.

You can also look in the stores for items that are discounted because they are near expiration date, those foods are still good but half the price because the store needs to get rid of them fast.