Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 months ago

If Adam and Eve are my ancestors, how come they don’t have the same last name as me?

How do you know they don't have the same name as you? Have you done any research? Perhaps it's just that they don't have the surname Troll like you do.

they did not use surnames in that period of time.

• Zirp

Commoners didn't have family-names until people like Napoleon made it mandatory to have one - in order to facilitate forcing guys into  armies

• Marli

They did not need a last name.  They and their kids were the only humans around. 😜

Last names and nicknames came about when there were so many humans around that they had to be differentiated from other Nathans, Jacobs, etc.  Nathan Wiseman; Caleb Jacobson; Abel Sheppard; Joseph Carpenter; Saul Redbeard and Son.

It's those pesky Neanderthal lineages that were added later, I bet.

• Cogito

They aren't your (or anyone else's) ancestors.

They're just characters in a fictional story.

But most of my ancestors didn't have the same surname as me.  Every generation adds more and more surnames to everyone's family tree.

The come from your mother's side of the family. Your father's side involved some sheep.

You cannot be that stupid?

Because last names only came into existence in the early 1800s.

Peace.

• Lôn

Your mother's side?