email have been sent to people I know from my email but I did not send them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Sharon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is how to recognize and secure a hacked account: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3516.html

Lv 6
    2 months ago

Recover account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-d... 

If hacked, you need to try to recover it, but it can still be used to commit fraud/send spam in your name, by spoofing. Warn all contacts.

• 2 months ago

Your email address has been hacked and used as part of a network to carry spam.

Don't follow follow any 'recovery' links that might appear.

Log out of your computer properly. Turn it on again and update your antivirus software and run a scan.  You could download and use Malwarebytes if you don't think your antivirus is stopping all the malware and bad tracking cookies.

If you're good with computers you could run MSCONFIG before this and stop any start-up programs you don't want from running. (Easy to tick them back in later).

Once up to date, visit the website of your legit email provider and alter your password.  You will probably have to reset synch with other devices.

From now on don't click on unexpected or unwanted links with .exe in them.

• 2 months ago

Opse! I hope it wasn't nudes!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Someone is impersonating your email address. That's not difficult. The most common way spammers get hold of your contacts is through a viral email. You send it to all your contacts and it builds up a mailing list. Once the spammers have your contacts, they send them mail with a click-through claiming to be from you. That way, they're more likely to follow the click through. Each time they do it, the spammers earn a few cents, but if millions of people fall for the scam, it's lucrative business. If you get an email, never send it to all your contacts no matter how hilarious it is.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.