Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

Question for masters degree in Law?

I would like to know how does the masters or phd work in Law for an international student. For finance or psychology or something its simple because u study undergraduate for that and than when u go abroad its basically the same topics (because business/ finance psychology etc are pretty much the same in every country) But what about Law? The constitution, laws and rules are different in every country. For example, I studied 4 years of Law in my native country Greece, and now i go abroad.. to the US for ecample, for my masters. 

How will i be able to attain my masters in Law, when the Law of america is COMPLETELY different from the Law in Greece. Im sorry if i cant explain it correctly but I hope you do know what i mean.  

Bonus question: how are scholarships awarded to international students, for masters or/and phd.

Thank you!!

4 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    To answer your 2nd question first, there is NO financial aid whatsoever for foreign students to study law in the US. At any level. Law is extremely glutted in the US, and has been at least since the 1970s. And foreign students cannot practice law in the US - not eligible for any employment visa.

    Law in the US is graduate degree, JD (juris doctor). There is no master's degree in law in the US, unlike some countries where law is a bachelor's degree program. If you are a Greek citizen, you will only practice law in Greece (or under EU rules, as citizen of EU-member country, perhaps you can work in another EU-member country?). There is no point in you wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on a US law degree.

    Law is so glutted (US has nearly 70% of the entire world's attorneys) that even if you could legally immigrate, obtain a green card (so you won't need any temporary employment visa), and pass state & federal bar exams, it is unlikely you could get a job in the US.

  • 2 months ago

    The US uses Common Law and Greece uses Civil Law so the two systems are quite different.  Moreover in the US, Law is studied in at graduate not undergraduate level.  It leads to a JD which used to be called the LLB and is therefore the equivalent of what you already have.  It is neither a Master's degree nor a PhD despite its name.

    You can do a two year Master of Laws (LLM) in either the US or the UK.  Whether one of those makes sense depends on your long term plan.  My daughter did an LLM after her JD because she wanted to specialise in corporate tax.  You are not going to get a scholarship and neither will it lead to employment in the US as there are no work permits for newly minted lawyers.

    The PhD in Law degree would only be useful if you wanted to teach law.  Generally PhDs are funded, you would receive a stipend in return for which you would do some teaching.  To get into a PhD programme might be tricky with a Civil Law background.  Not sure that there would be a lot of point to it either.

    If you want to go abroad for further legal studies, I suggest you look at the UK.  Far cheaper and there are courts in Paris that need crossover Common/Civil lawyers.  You might want to work on your English a bit first; 'u' has no meaning.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    There are no scholarships available in this field.

    Studying law in another country would be fairly pointless; the costs would be high (as for any international student); there would be no option to stay in-country after your studies (no country has a shortage of law graduates); and you would be unable to use the degree in your own country without further qualifications and study, if at all.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Unless you want a job as a Lawyer it is a pointless waste of time doing a PhD.  Business and Finance is totally different in the U.K. and US.

    Getting a scholarship will also  be very difficult.

    You need a degree that will get you a job.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.