Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 2 months ago

Can you pay with euros in Northern Ireland?

• Maxi

If the business accepts Euros and some will do, but most won't and if the business accepts Euros any change will be in sterling.

In the border areas yes but mostly no as it is still part of the UK and when United Ireland referendum is called, it will end up joining rest of Ireland.

• Orla C

The currency there is the British pound, but you could probably use a card to pay in many situations. That said, I did take a taxi there once and the driver was perfectly happy to take the rough equivalent in Euros when I didn't have quite enough in pounds to pay him. This was in Armagh beside the border. 

• Bill-M

In some  places you may be able to.   Northern Ireland uses the Pound.

Sometimes, but you are better off changing the Euros to Pounds. 

They are not obliged to take Euros.  But those stores and such that cater to tourists will often accept them (and dollars for that matter).  To be on the safe side, I'd carry some pounds in my pocket.

• ..

Some places will accept it, as they share a border with the Irish Republic, but not all...

When I was there some stores had prices in pounds and euros.

It really depends on the mood of the people there. if they want to take euro then they will if they want to take usd, they will.