Why is money and economy necessary?

So it baffles me why we as a species need money. I understand the three core necessities I suppose, however let's thank climate change. Our world is boiling, however a ton of headlines state that while x, would be a great alternative it's to costly or expensive to establish the infrastructure, or maintain it. I'm over here thinking, so give the materials for free and everyone able pitches in for free or the alternative is we all die. Seems like a no brainer to me. Housing (see venus project), food, water, medicine. Essential to life so why do we put value on it? (Dont give me that scarcity bs.) I understand, pleasure boats, tv, gaming, junk food, just not essentials.

Update:

Motivation, mediation, measure. Money began as a record of who owed who. I understand all of that the question is, why do we require something in return for giving someone the ability to live.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Our world is not "boiling", it's just returning to the pre ice age state it was in at the time the Romans were growing grapes and olives in what is now Britain. Human activities may have hastened this but it's not like we can stop it so we'll need to adapt. The population of Earth was a mere 500,000 at the time this ice age began and we've overpopulated ourselves to where now climate change will cause disruption. But pretending we can somehow halt the natural warming and cooling of the planet is a fool's errand. Even if every fossil fuel burning device was scrapped tomorrow the Earth would still progress at its own natural pace. It's been doing this for millions or years and your 100x great grandchildren will be worrying about how to combat the encroaching snow and ice.

• 3 weeks ago

A medium of exchange has been used for thousands of years. It's easier than carrying around a lot of goats to exchange for whatever you might want. Also people that build houses want to be paid.  When America was being settled by Europeans, sometimes neighbors would get together to build a barn for someone, and nobody would think about getting paid.  That method was mostly abandoned.  If it is still done, it is very rare.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Economy is about distributing things that are scarce, aka in short supply.

We don't truly need money, as it is a rather oversimplistic way to do it, and most Communists would rather do without, but unfortunately a lot of people feel better when there is a bunch of poor people to look down upon and feel superior to

• 3 weeks ago

What you are touching on is the essence of Marxism. And the fundamental flaw of it is that not all people are created equally. Some demand more than others, and some give more than others. So if some demand more, they have to pay for it. And if some give more, they should be rewarded for it.

And there we are...money.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It all started by a term called trading.

• 3 weeks ago

Money is part of the social system we've worked out over time. it's a method for arranging equitable exchange of goods/services between parties. If you don't have a free medium of exchange, you are back to barter, or some other scoring system. None of the other systems we have tried work as well. It's as simple as that.

• Not sure what you are saying, but you have to live too, right? If you spend all your time doing stuff for other people for no money, you can't eat. As for rescuing people, plenty of volunteer forces do that for free, but they are supported by donations.

• 3 weeks ago

We actually don't. Your observation is correct. 

When humans first came to the Earth aboard

space-ships, they settled on Lemuria which 

was a grand island-continent that stretched 

from Australia to Hawaii; over 500,00 years ago. 

Because of it's location; it remained undisturbed

for thousands of years and rose to a Golden-Age 

civilization. The Lemurians were a magical and 

even telepathic race. They lived in perfect Oneness

with the Creator which allowed them to create their 

basic needs using crystal-technology; without money. 

Atlantis was founded around 200,000 

years ago; and was a colony of Lemuria. 

At some point malevolent aliens 

infilitrated the government/councils 

of Atlantis; and taught man they had 

to use money to survive which was 

never in the Divine-Plan. 

• So, all we need to do without money is this crystal technology that makes anything. Well that's alright then.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.