cat
cat asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

What can I eat on a no-sugar diet?

This may sound like a weird question, but I truthfully have no idea how to follow a diet that doesn't consist of sugar.

I've gained weight recently and feel awful. On a daily basis I eat sugar-loaded granolas, cereals, protein bars, and muffins/scones. I don't eat normal meals, I just snack on sugar things all day. Even my coffee is full of sugar because I use Coffee Mate flavored creamers. I want to cut out ALL sugar from my diet because I'm the type of person who needs to go cold-turkey -- 'moderation' doesn't work for me even if it may work for most people! I'm motivated, the only problem is I have no idea what to eat other than salad and chicken. I don't like eggs so I don't know what to do for breakfast. I want to stick to 1200 calories because I have a sedentary desk job. Thanks for your help!!

Get a couple of books on a ketogenic diet -- either order on Amazon or go to your public library.

Not only is all the sugar bad for you, there is basically no nutrition in these foods.  Here are some of the things you can -- and should -- eat:

1. Vegetables: raw or cooked.  Any type of lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, cauliflower (use cauliflower rice), cabbage, kale, asparagus, celery, cucumber, radishes, zucchini, etc.  

2.  Protein: eggs, chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, etc.  

3.  Healthy fats from olive oil, nuts, avocado and some cheese

4.  Buy stevia and monk fruit to sweeten things.

Try making your coffee in a new way:  Put your brewed coffee in a blender (yep) with about a teaspoon of MCT oil (you can find it everywhere now), a teaspoon of real cream, and either stevia or monk fruit to sweeten.   Blend. I think you'll find this rivals the best creamers.  Stevia drops also come in flavors, so if you want vanilla or mocha or whatever, you can get that -- usually at a store like Whole Foods or Sprouts.

Also, stop snacking.  When you graze, your body is constantly having to produce insulin to transport the glucose you've consumed through all those carbohydrates to your cells.  When you are producing insulin, your body with either going to use the fuel or store it as fat; it cannot release the hormone to burn stored fat.  

• Shay

What you really need to avoid is ADDED SUGARS.   Avoid foods that have been over processed.  So, packaged snacks are horrible choices.

Every carbohydrate will become sugar in the blood - so the difference in "sugar" is the source of that sugar.If you want to eat healthier and avoid "bad" sugars, then do some of the following:Meat - All meat that is not coated in breading or sauces is good.  There is NO SUGAR in meat.Vegetables - Most vegetables are good - some are better than others, but since you are just looking for "healthier" and not actually  concerned about diabetes at this point, any vegetable would be better than the junk you have been eating.  Some of the "bad" vegetables are potatoes, corn, and peas.  These are very high in carbohydrates - so they are higher in "natural sugars" than other vegetables.Fruits - Although fruit is loaded with sugar - it is NATURAL SUGAR and fruit is HEALTHY.  There is NOTHING WRONG with eating up to two servings of fruit per day while trying to follow a diet that is lower in sugars.Grains - you need grains in a healthy diet.  Look for cereals that DO NOT have ADDED SUGARS.  There are plenty of healthy choice cereals.  Whole grains are best.  For breads and pastas - pick whole grains instead of white grains.  Dairy - A good diet also includes some dairy.  Just pick dairy choices that don't have added sugars.  (lactose is natural to dairy and is the source of natural sugar in dairy products.)  Snacks - nuts and raisins make great snacks.  Even crackers are decent snacks - especially if the crackers are a whole grain cracker.Base your meals and snacks on fresh vegetables, fruits, and meats and you will be avoiding the kinds of added sugars that can put you at risk for weight gain and health issues.  

"What can I eat on a no-sugar diet?"

First off there is no such thing as a no sugar diet. Sugars of any type, are all classed as forms of carbohydrates. I lived with what's known as low blood sugar, which is slowly going the other way, but that's also a part of getting older. The main point that I'm making here, is that there's no way in which you can escape sugars, or more accurately carbohydrates. However look for options such as fresh vegetables, and other forms of proteins that will help keep you filled, but aren't high calorie either. A start would be by reducing slowly those things that are high in added sugars. Also I would recommend seeing a properly licensed medical dietitian, to help you get started. They can provide more help, than I or anyone can here.