Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

Name some things that were better in the 1980's than today?

Music.

Price of groceries (10 cat food cans for $1, 10 cans of tuna for $1, bread loaf for 60 cents, hamburger was 58 cents a pound)

Quincy MD started the whole Criminal Minds/CSI/medical examiner tv shows.

Nobody was on their stupid cell phones 24/7, you had a land line and you actually interacted with people face to face, holding real conversations and being social with very good skills at that.

Gas prices were under $1 a gallon.

My PHONE bill was $6 a month.

If you lost your job or quit, you could find another one by the end of the week, it was NOT difficult to stay employed.  

Rent was in the $150 a month range for an upper flat (6 rooms). 

CD returns were 24% not the .5% they are now. Back then nobody really knew what CDs actually were, they were still buying savings bonds.

Television, no pop-up or program advertising on the screen during regular programing, and less commercials overall per hour, and cable only cost about $20 per month.

• AndyF

In the 1980's you knew all the neighbors. Kids played outdoors and learned how to get along with others and communicate. Neighbors kept an eye out for trouble and watched over others kids. We had block parties.

It seemed better when you knew what countries were the enemy of your country. Now its a mix of overseas and home grown enemies. 

The ability of people to communicate face-to-face.

• Speed

Interest rates on savings accounts. My spouse was in law school and I had a low-paying job, but interest rates hovering around nine percent let us make ends meet, since we had savings. Now a good rate is still under two percent.

Carter, Reagan, and Bush.

Easier to make friends, and date.

I wasn’t even born in the 80s so I can’t really say but I’ll admit that the 80s has way better music than today’s music. 

• Ambistoma

I agree. But I note that when we review pop culture of past eras, we get something of a skewed sample, since we see only that which someone thought was worth preserving, not the era's forgettable crud.

Nothing, people of today have mever had it so good. there is no such thing has the good old days

Society in general