Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Is it okay to have 1 new tire on the front and 1 new tire on the rear?

I got two new tires because both of my passenger side tires were bad.  I asked the mechanics to rotate them so the new tires were on the rear and the worn, but okay tires were in the front.  When they were done they told me they put one new tire on the passenger rear and the other on the driver side front.  I asked them why and they said it was because there is a rear on my driver side rear tire and they didn’t want to move it to the front just in case it blew out while I was driving.  Should I go back and make them do it anyway or leave it as it is until I guess I get two more new tires?

• Bort

Having unevenly worn tires and different tires can effect the ride quality of a vehicle. It doesn't matter where which tire is. If they're not the same or don't have about the same amount of ware on each tire it could (but might not) produce a bouncy ride or make the vehicle pull to one side.

It's not going to cause mechanical damage. And it's not really that big of a deal unless it is causing an uncomfortable ride quality. If the ride quality sucks the correction is to get the other 2 that are a bit worn replaced with the same exact tire the new ones are.

i'm thinking your new tires should be on the rear of the car.... well atleast where i live we get alot of snow and if you loose traction in the rear on a turn you crash..... atleast thats what i have always been told.... new tires to the rear and old tires on front

New tires should be put on the front of the vehicle. 

• Lv 4

good answer; that is, both, and in pairs, maybe take it to a different tire place &have All Balanced, & the two switched so Both New are on the Front (then always go only front to rear so direction of rotation stays same,unless front & rear are different size), the way it is presently sounds awful 

It should be fine as long as they both arent on the same side of the car. 

Source(s): Sarcasticism
  • Lv 7

if your vehicle is front drive, you should put the 2 new tires at the front. for rear wheel drive, put them at the back. the most important thing is that they wear differently, the fronts and rears. replacing just one side would make your car tilt more to one side, and the wear would be even MORE uneven.

better to have the 2 odd tires opposite your drive, and let the new tires be on your drive axle. then you will have better grip and get better gas mileage.

• CB

Wrong! - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

• YKhan

It should be fine. But if you didn't want this to trigger your OCD, then you should have bought 4 new tires instead.