Is it possible to have a relative placed in sod kind of "Assisted living facility" before the age of 65?

Two of my relatives have medical problems and cannot live completely alone. They are 59 and 60 years of age.

One tends to get severe asthma attacks. The other has severe mobility problems.

It is hard for me to care for them all the time. There is a problem with money too. Are there any kind of facilities that would take care of such people. Anyone know if there is such a thing as insurance that will pay for it?


The relative that tends to get asthma attacks would have to have  a care taker with  her all the time . . Are there such services?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Medicaid is a form of insurance. I don't know whether your relatives qualify.

    I am licensed to inspect nursing homes for violations such as mistreatment, bad diet, threatening fellow residents.  It is unusual to see a "full time" caretaker assigned to a particular resident, BUT I do see such an arrangement paid for by the family.  Obviously, there would have to be some wealth behind such an arrangement.

    I DO know there are call buttons, roommates, nursing staff, open microphones, that protect the resident.

    You are in a bad place.  My husband was a total invalid for the 5 years before he died (in his early 30's), and I was absolutely exhausted caring for him at home/in the hospital.  It is physically and mentally exhausting.

    I'd suggest that you visit a facility or two and ask questions, tour the facility, speak to the residents.

    I wish you luck.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Yes, long term care insurance but it sounds like it is too late for that. The only financial help you will get for your relatives, in terms of long term care, is when welfare kicks in after they have spent all their money. That is why so many people die pennyless.

  • Shilo
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Assisted living facilities are not just for the aged. Independent Senior Living (different than assisted living) is generally for anyone 55 and older who can live independently without the assistance of daily caretakers. Even some of those places, though, allow for residents whose physical needs require some care. Assisted Living facilities are more expensive, much more expensive, than Independent Senior Living facilities because of the medical / nursing care provided with the residency. 

    Long term care insurance might cover some of the expenses of Assisted Living, easier and cheaper to get before the need arises. 

    You might consider calling your local county's social services department for specific guidance. 

    Best of luck to you.

  • Linda
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    I am 56 and I have mobility problems and would hate to have to go to a retirement home. Bf doing that, call DHS and see if there are some home care assistance that they could qualify for before doing that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.