Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 3 weeks ago

Can an employee be reprimanded for trying to start rumors about another employee?

Several times, my co-worker has asked me in front of other co-workers “What’s up with that midget you were dating?”  Obviously, that never happened, as he’s just trying to embarrass me and make me the laughing stock of the office.  Keep in mind that he has done other things to annoy or belittle me in front of others.  For example, while I was working on a project in the conference room with staff, he walked in there with a stack of client files and asked me how I alphabetized them..  I told him by last name, obviously.  He then walked away while shaking his head, which leaves me to believe that he was trying to imply that they were alphabetized by first name and that he was just trying to make me look bad in front of everyone in the conference room by visibly shaking his head so they’ll think I’m a screw-up who makes mistakes.  But I know for a fact that I alphabetized them by last name.  Is he jealous of me or something?  Why does he randomly put me in weird scenarios (such as the midget) and constantly criticize me in front of others?

Yes.  Depending on local laws, they could be terminated.  Tell him the next comment will get a complaint to HR if he doesn't grow up.

• Scott

It's a form of "bullying" and creates a "hostile workplace". This is an HR matter. 

• Kieth

Next time he asks in front of others, say, "She's doing fine, and she asked me to tell you that regardless of your feelings about her, you will always have your mother's love."

• John

Take the fist off company property and then the company could care less.

Yes. They can also be fired.

• John

Take it to HR and let them do the reprimanding. Obviously your antagonist has low self-esteem.