Buying car in Indiana when I live in Ohio ?

So I am in Indiana for the next few months due to family emergency and would like to buy a used car from a private seller before returning back home. Do I have to register the vehicle in Indiana or can I drive it straight to Columbus to get it registered and tagged? I know the person doesn’t have 30 days tags or can I get them from the BMV here in Indiana ?

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You may have to check with both states. In my state, we can drive a newly bought car for 2-3 weeks without a tag as long as we keep the paperwork in the car.

    Trouble is, there are 50 states.

    I know in my state, they don't hand out temp tags except in very rare situations.

    Id say you would probably be ok as long as you are driving it back fairly soon.....not 3-4 weeks later.

    But, you must have insurance right away or you will get a ticket for sure.

  • bobby
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    You have to get it registered in the state of your permanent residence, no, you cannot drive it until it is registered and you obtain your plates.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    I would ask DNV in Indiana.  When I had a very similar situation I went to DMV, provided them with the info, provided them with proof of insurance, got 30-day temporary tags, went back to my home State and got a permanent registration.

    You can't drive in an unregistered vehicle.  A private owner would be crazy to allow you to drive on HIS registration and insurance.

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Does Indiana require the owner to remove the plates?  You can't register anything in Indiana since you don't live there

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    There is only a little difference Buying a vehicle out of state as there is buying it in state. If buying from a private owner:  Arrange for the purchase, Call to insure your new car, get a temporary plate from the Indiana DMV, then get a title and plates (registration) when you get back to Ohio.  If you buy from a dealer, the dealer will charge your Ohio Sales tax and Ohio license fees, etc. He will remit those fees to the DMV and to the Ohio tax people.  He will order a Indiana title and plates for you.  He can also arrange to obtain a temporary plate for to travel back to Ohio.  

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Call Ohio and Indiana DMVs and find out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.