Do you think more museums will follow Manchester Museum's example and return Aboriginal artefacts?

The museum invited a delegation of indigenous leaders to the museum to hand the items back to them. They are made of emu feathers and look like feather dusters but are worn on a belt or headdress. They are considered to be living beings in Aboriginal culture and are described as "secret sacred items". They clearly mean a lot to them so it's good they are back in the right hands. Maybe other museums will follow suit.

The younger Aboriginals in the group were all really pleased and engaged well with museum staff by describing their function etc and were all very thankful. The older ones were more angry though and made accusations of theft and disparaging remarks in the media. They were legally property of the museum, they didn't have to hand them over. You try to do nice things for people in goodwill but you just can't win with some.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

It's not about winning you baffoon.

• ...Show all comments
    • Mr Jinx
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Me bitter? You are the bitter one, always judging others, bagging Australia and generally being a complete knob.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I'm over Aboriginal sacred items and site or whatever. I'm not anti-Aboriginal but most of what comes out of their mouth seems bullshit, like they have so many sacred sites that nobody ever goes to or have been to for thousands of years, how sacred are they?

• 3 weeks ago

I hope so.  I think that with all the technology available today, important artifacts should be 3d copied and the original items returned - not just Aboriginal, but those from other countries/cultures.

• 3 weeks ago

You're so lucky you haven't seen how bad Australia is. 

• Half Drawn Boy
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

It can’t be as bad as you make out. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rohan
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago
  • 3 weeks ago

Give the Elgin Marbles back too. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.