Do Built-In GPS in vehicles need reception like Cellphones do?

My Uber driver today, had some issues with his Cellphone cause we went into an area where there was poor reception and it kind of made him lost to get to my destination in which I had to direct him myself.

He had no built in GPS on his car which was disappointing because he was driving a 2020 Honda Accord which he brags to be about $41K CAD, yet no maps.

What happens if I'm in the forest with my car with no cellular reception? Would maps work? Can I navigate back to the nearest highway?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Built in GPS use the same reception that Garmin uses. Just don't expect it to work on cloudy days.

• 3 weeks ago

Cellphones work through ground based antennae which are pretty low powered and can easily have their signals blocked by buildings etc.  That is why there are so many antennae, to try to cover areas where there are poor signals and still there can be problems.  That in turn is why the cellphone service providers are always seeking permission to install yet more antennae

GPS uses geostationary satellites in orbit over the Earth. The signal is far less likely to be obstructed as the receiver is more likely to "see" a satellite, and GPS is more reliable though you can still lose contact, in a tunnel for instance.

Thgus a 

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

GPS uses satellites, but they're not in geostationary orbits.  They would be nearly useless if they were.

• 3 weeks ago

Satellites are what GPS  uses. If you have a good one , and it has power from your vehicle or batteries , because it defo needs power , it will not fail you. Also even though is does get to you and you to it through the satellites in space , for extra security they are now building all over the earth , earth stations , to relay a signal if necessary , so you will not have a problem getting back to the nearest highway !  

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

GPS operates from satellites in geostationary orbit above the planet, while cell phones depend on signals from towers scattered around populated areas. BOTH types of signals can be blocked by tall buildings, trees, bridges or other obstructions, although GPS is probably more reliable for long distance navigation.

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

GPS satellites are not in geostationary orbits.  They wouldn't work if they did.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ian K
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

GPS uses satellites to give your location.  If you don't have a map downloaded or availible to plot that position, all you have is a set of coordinates.  

• 3 weeks ago

GPS requires satellites in order to figure out where you are.

The main difference between a car's nav system and smartphone navigation is that the car's infotainment has the maps pre-installed. That's why they don't require Internet access to work. As long as it can receive a GPS "fix" and has maps of your area, it can show you where you are and provide directions.

Smartphones, on the other hand, don't have pre-installed maps so that is why you need Internet in order for it to even show your current location. Most navigation apps let you download maps of your general area so that you can continue navigating if you loose cell coverage, but I don't think most people know about it or use it.

If you're in an area that is covered with a lot of trees or just don't have a good amount of clear sky, your GPS device may not have enough satellites (or any) to figure out your position.

• 3 weeks ago

i would get a gps if you need direction

• 3 weeks ago

If you're out in the woods away from cell towers, but still have a clear sky overhead, you GPS should still work.  Since it runs off satellites.

If you're in a tunnel or a deep canyon, neither one will probably work.

• 3 weeks ago

No, apparently they run off satellites whereas phones run off cell towers, so they’re supposed to work no matter where you are.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.