Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 weeks ago

Is veganism a cult? ?

I really don't see the difference with vegans and born again extreme Christian's. Same dogmatic traits. They isolate you or guilt trip you if you leave 

• Nunya

Of course its a cult. What sane person would say no to some ribs or a nice juicy steak?

• Nunya

You love animals more than people. Even animals have more compassion for their own.

Christians believe in supernatural entities that will torture you if you don't believe.

Vegans believe they can survive without eating animals, and question why harming them is necessary.

I fail to see the similarities.

• Vela

No.

Anti-vegans fit your description far too often

• Todd

Where do you people live? I've lived all over the place and I have yet to me a vegan, at least not an outspoken one.

A comment on cultism vs. veganism. I think cults are more likely to grow out of feeling oppressed and the minority, Since there's power in numbers and a loud voice, so at least people think, evangelism is a natural side effect. I took a class in college on social activism. The professor was a big believer in the strength of loud irritating voices. He gave an excellent example of homeless people banding together to enact change in Minneapolis city law. He loved the few against the many. Anyway, it seems to me, evangelical veganism, being a fringe culture, runs the risk of people responding, "I'm sorry, what? You're talking so loud I can't hear what you're saying."

The upshot is that veganism by itself isn't a cult, but is good loam to seed one.

"Is veganism a cult? ?"

No veganism itself is NOT a cult. However SOME but not all vegans has a cult like attitude and behavior, much like some of the born again Christians. Both vegans and born again Christian who act and behave in such s manner, tend to vex me greatly. I've seen a few in this section, and in real life fortunately only came across one. Some act like they know what is best for everyone. The same  also applies to the born again Christians who think or act like they are the holiest of the holy, and speak in and on behalf of God. Both act as though that they and they alone hold the right to judge others. Also the same applies to those politically whether they're on the left or the right, and the same applies to other religious beliefs.

However not everyone that's not one or the other or even both, are all the same. Some actually realize that not everyone can follow a strict vegetarian diet as they've adopted. They actually realize that there are millions of people, who without meat, or other animal products, would NOT be able to sustain a healthy productive life. Yet the know it all will NOT accept anything less than what they decree is and will be the only dietary right path for everyone to follow. However there are those among us, whose diet includes meat, that are as equally fanatical about what everyone needs. However among those of us who who diet includes meat, are those who believes it's not possible to be healthy without it in the diet. Yet again there can be issues where eating meat could actually cause serious health issues. 

I'd come to the conclusion after a number of years, some years back, that there's no one diet fits all diet. It's a conclusion I came to that was the result of those years from reading research papers, and realizing that there's a multitude of health issues, that would make the strict vegetarian diet to not be a viable one, do to those health issues, which SOME vegans will insist that their dietary choice will cure, or would have even prevented. Spend as I have a couple decades or so reading research papers from the various institutions, such as colleges, hospitals, research facilities and research from government agencies around the world, then apply some critical thinking and logic, and it doesn't have to take long to end up where I'm at now.

• Louis

Veganism is like sex. If it doesn't feel good you are doing something wrong.  :)

• Louis

I don't see veganism as dogmatic. There are so many gray areas that carnists will bring up to point out how hypocritical or inconsistent we are. 

Also, so many vegan authors downplay personal purity and go with a "just be as vegan as you can be". 

Perhaps its the carnists are the cult. It is them that find veganism as an alternative to eating meat as a threat to their manhood. 

YESSS they're all mentally ill. Vegans are full of anger and crave animal products that's why they so fucked off with everyone and anyone. Malnourished twats