Miranda asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

How likely is my risk of rabies?

I was carrying my car seat to the car and a neighbor dog (had a collar) came up and may have licked my hand where I have a scratch and I'm convinced I got rabies. 

I went to the hospital they don't think there's a risk so they didn't recommend the vaccines. I'm having a hard time believing it though. 

I'm in Oklahoma near Oklahoma City and I don't know who the dog belongs to just that another neighbor said it's someone around here

I seeked out help and I have postpartum mental health problems, I'm getting therapy and medicine it stems from losing a child previously, so to answer asshole no I'm not a troll or a moron, I had real valid concerns but I'm getting help I need. 

Very unlikely. Like less than a 0.0000000000000001% chance.

Just plain zero.

If you are that paranoid, call your county CDC office, they can tell you of all rabid animal cases in your area, the specific animals and the threat risk.

If you feel like you have symptoms you're probably convincing yourself. Like when you think about lice and then your head gets itchy. A scratch is not an open wound and doesn't really provide access to your bloodstream. Also, you can't get rabies from a dog that doesn't have rabies.

Unless the dog has rabies, you're fine. If you're really that concerned, go get the rounds of rabies shots. But you should know they hurt like hell and you have to go back multiple times to get more. It his highly unlikely that you have rabies. Dogs are put down if they have it. 

Also, the dog would have most likely bitten you if it was rabid. Not licked you.

• Ocimom

You are fine.  But I would find out who owns the dog and ask to see the rabies certificate for the dog to be sure its up to date on vaccinations.

It's very likely. 

THAT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE AND HOW COMMON RABIES IS THERE KID

probably not likely, if you dont have symptoms of it i wouldnt worry about it

• Blearg

Very unlikely. Rabid animals tend to have very specific behavior patterns. Rabies is a progressive infection and is fatal. It isn't like fleas or ringworm where they can just be a carrier for it. 

"People usually get rabies from the bite of a rabid animal. It is also possible, but rare, for people to get rabies from non-bite exposures, which can include scratches, abrasions, or open wounds that are exposed to saliva or other potentially infectious material from a rabid animal. Other types of contact, such as petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces of a rabid animal, are not associated with risk for infection and are not considered to be exposures of concern for rabies."If you were bitten by a cat, dog, or ferret that appeared healthy at the time you were bitten, it can be confined by its owner for 10 days and observed. No anti-rabies prophylaxis is needed. No person in the United States has ever contracted rabies from a dog, cat or ferret held in quarantine for 10 days."If a dog, cat, or ferret appeared ill at the time it bit you or becomes ill during the 10 day quarantine, it should be evaluated by a veterinarian for signs of rabies and you should seek medical advice about the need for anti-rabies prophylaxis."For more info, check out centers for disease control guideshttps://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/domest...

If the dog is rabid, probably around 85%.