asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

how do they train "Cadever dogs" to smell what? and how do they train some to specifically smell "Trauma"?

I was watching a documentary about the dogs that are used to investigate a crime scene involving suspected death . and saw the dogs barking at something and the narrator mentioned that this dog is specifically trained to smell "Trauma"...how that would be possible? what does "Trauma" smell like maybe to them? why they are so sensitive and is this like some type of 6th sense maybe?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Best answer

There is an odor to human remains as the body decomposes, if the. Death is especially violent there may be an adrenaline odor left mixed in with the decomposition. The cadaver dogs are amazing, I did not understand at first how they tracked the bodies, especially when it was pretty much just bones left. There isn’t rain or wind to blow the remains away nor do they really go anywhere when buried, however the vast majority of remains found are not buried very deep, usually less than three feet. The decomposition has to go somewhere and it eventually gets worked back into the soil around the remains. Between dna testing, dental records and other identifying marks the police discover who they found buried out in the woods or wherever.

Just like a diabetic alert service dog, the cadaver digs are trained to find or follow certain odors no matter where they are, their sense of smell is thousands of times stronger than ours is and they usually aerie successful when they go out looking for the victim.

• 3 weeks ago

Dogs can smell the order of decomposition far better than any machine or human. Specifically the training consists of basically tracking a dead body by the smell of decomposition. There are very specific commands that a handler will give to their dog when switching to a dead body search. In relation to tracking a live person. Continuing training is needed for both the dog and and handler. 

Source(s): FL FWC K9 OFFICER whose partner is trained in finding deceased individuals or wildlife.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I have never worked with/never seen a "trauma sniffing dog."  I have worked with cadaver dogs.  In that case it's a question of rotting flesh.

Trauma without a body does not cause an alert.  Trauma WITH a body can cause an alert.  But why is the dog alerting?  Trauma or rotting flesh?

• Ninefinger
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Sure it does. One aspect of tracking is blood tracking or scent tracking.

• 3 weeks ago

People who die violently (as in a murder) give off a tremendous amount of adrenaline, and that can remain for some time, especially if attached to decomposing remains.

Example, but not precisely the same:  let's say you have a dog trained to track lost elderly people or kids.  Most do not give off adrenaline (when they simply "wander off") and the dog may have some trouble tracking them, and only catching the scent here & there.  But when an escaped convict has broken out of prison - the adrenaline he gives off, makes his trail.... LIGHT UP LIKE a "CHRISTMAS TREE"..... to a tracking dog.  That dog will DRAG you - down the track.

Dogs have 700 to over 1,000 times the scenting capabilities WE do and they can tell one person's scent from another.

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

^^   It most certainly is the super scenting abilities dogs have, that we humans don't have.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The phrase "trauma" is more pleasant than the alternative, "decomposing flesh."

They use their sense of smell.

It's really just that simple.

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I happen to think Anon has it right.

Trauma - death, pretty much the same.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.