Why would previous owners plug drain into sump pit?

I recently bought a house and knew it had a sump pit but no pump. I do not get water in basement(yet) so figured it's not an issue. I am having a plumber come in the spring to put in pump and pipes to drain it outside. And radon mitigation. Water does come into the pit and twice I have pumped it to the laundry tub. The water has never gone over the pit. My gut feeling is the old owners had a sump pump and pumped it to the drain or tub.I could do this until spring.  I just noticed one of the drains into the pit has a bottle in it.This bottle fits tightly blocking the drain hose.  No idea why the old owners did this. Should I remove it? I'm worried it will flood with water, but is it doing damage if the water isn't draining into the pit?

Favorite Answer

my guess is they used the bottle as a temporary stopper. btw, that might be the drain to outdoors, not a drain into the sump. [assuming there used to be a pump there but no longer is] you might want to trace that hose back to wherever it goes

Source(s): grampa
    • sam3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for your reply. I'll get a plumber this spring to install proper pump and pipes. I also have to do radon mediation. I did have a house inspection, and they only stated there was a sump hole but no pump. It appears water has never entered the basement floor.

if you know where they are maybe you should call them and ask them

• sam3 weeks agoReport

I have a plumber coming in the spring for several issues. I'm 73 year old female with no plumbing knowledge. I live in an area where houses sell the minute they hit the market. It took me a year to grab this one. It's a great house, but has some questionable issues.