Gian Louis asked in PetsDogs · 2 weeks ago

Why does my dog like to lay on the heater?

She does this all the time. Whenever I go look for her in the house, I always find her laying on the heater vent and she also loves to sleep on it. Does she like the warm feeling of the heater? We live in Alaska if you guys are wondering where I live.

Attachment image

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Sure, it is the warm.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

She probably does, Pets love heat! My dog will sleep anywhere by the heater or fireplace and we live in the South.

• 2 weeks ago

When we had forced air central heating, with a vent half-way up the stairs, our then only hound used to lie across that stair tread because he enjoyed the warmth being pumped out.   However, we'd not letl him actually lie across a vent in the floor like that - any more than to lie for hours in the full sun!!   That's not a great idea.   Why don't you put a fixture that vents the warm air across the room so he can't lie there?    Not to cover the vent, but to redirect the warmth.

• patty
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Get her a nice woolen coat. A friends cat sit on top of the heater. its obviously cold where u are.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

Dogs, just like humans, are warm-blooded creatures, and as such, it is more energy-efficient for both to make our environment warm in the winter.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

I don't think it's about the heat.

I think it's more about her liking the smell of burning dog hair.

• 2 weeks ago

Because you are stupid enough to allow it to, very obviously

• 2 weeks ago

She’s cold. The fur only provides so much warmth. If she’s sleeping, her body temperature cools a little. It’s the same reason she sleeps next to you. You body provides some heat. 

It’s the same with my cat. He likes to sleep around the window when there’s sunshine. When there’s no sunshine, he’ll sleep on top of the fridge or on a rug in the bathroom or on my bed. 

• Susie
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

Get her a warm dog bed or fold up a blanket for her to sleep on. Even in Florida some dogs like that at night, even to be covered.  

• 2 weeks ago

Because it's warm.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.