Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

do you do oil changes without filter on your car like the old days?

When I was a kid, late 1960's to mid 1970's, you didn't pump the gas for your car. They still did it for you. They'd check your tires, oil, etc. too. In those days, you changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Every other oil change, you changed the filter. That was in the manual. Today in your manual, it says every 6,000-7,500 miles, oil and filter. The oil change places still say 3,000 miles because they are scamming you.

Say it was 1972, they checked the label inside your door. The man would say its been 3,000 miles since your last oil change. If they didn't need to do the filter, they probably did it at the pump in about 5 minutes or so. They had a tank and attached an air hose. This would suck the oil our in about 2 minutes. They had a rack with oil cans and they forced a steel spout into the can. The Sunoco down the street my dad used you put 4 quarts into the 327 TurboFire V8 in the 1968 Bel Air in about 3 minutes and still talk about the weather, Nixon or sports without missing a beat. As the oil poured in, he pushed a spout into the next can. I got a job at a gas station down another block, our first self serve in 1977.

I miss those days. The service. When was the last time you got an oil change, at the gas pump for $3.00?

If you are using regular motor oil the oil and filter needs to be changed every 3,000 miles. If using synthetic oil it's every 5,000 miles.

Only a fool would leave a dirty oil filter on the motor when changing oil. That includes back in the old days!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • YKhan

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the good old days when things weren't really all that good anyways. What difference does it make how you changed your oil back then? Of all of the things to be nostalgic about, you're nostalgic about oil changes?

Question is when did the heap of junk make it to the garage

• SugarBalls3 weeks agoReport

A 68 Bel Air is probably worth more than anything you drive today.

• Bill

I do what the owners manual calls for (change oil & filter) but I do it at 5000 miles. This is more frequent than GM calls for. So far, so good.  Walmart brand synthetic oil has the GM certification so that’s what I use, along with a name brand filter.