Simon asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

My cockapoo howls all day at home when alone. Annoying neighbours. Any ideas on how to stop this please?

I would rehome him to a family that is at home most of the day.It is cruel to leave a dog alone for more than 4 hours at a time.The only other suggestion I can think of is to pay someone to look after him while you are at work or enrol him in a doggy care centre while you work. Personally I dont know why people who  work all day all week  for long hours bother to get a dog at all when dogs HATE to be left alone.

• patty

I saw this on a vet show. Fifteen minuntes before you leave the house ignore the dog. Five minutes before you go out give him a kong toy with food in it which will keep him amused for a long time. I am not sure if there was more but it was a long time ago. anyway try this

Cockapoos are cross bred between 2 very social, attention seeking dogs.  Your dog is howling because they are lonely and bored.  There's a broad range of educational type toys available for bored dogs.  These types of toys usually involve food as a trigger to keep your dogs involved in solving the puzzle for as long as possible.  These are not toys found in Walmart, they can occasionally be found in a good pet shop but discuss with your vet.  I'm not aware of American brands so I can't help there except for Kong toys.

Tips I CAN give are  leaving out a different toy each day so they don't get bored, swapping toys, hiding toys for them to find (this usually requires a food-reward trigger)  and talking to someone about tips for separation anxiety.

The more of a fuss you make when leaving and entering the house, the more anxiety you will see.  Make a game of it when you leave - fill a kong toy with their breakfast and toss it somewhere they'll have to work to get it.  No affectionate fuss when you leave.  They'll soon be focused on working on their breakfast and playing the game when you leave for work.  Make sure he has other toys available when that one is finished.

When you come home, don't rush to your dog and heap affection on him all at once.  Standard separation anxiety tactics...

Leave something in his bedding area that smells like you - a tshirt you slept in for example.  Be prepared for that item to be chewed though.  

Also someone mentioned medications.  The only medication you should use for an anxious dog is anti-anxiety medications like fluoxetine. Do not sedate your anxious dog.  You WILL make the situation worse for him and it is incredibly dangerous to sedate an animal and leave them unattended.

Source(s): vet 21 years, behavioural specialist

Use a shock collar.

Dogs howl when alone and in distress. You need to work on separation anxiety and teaching her that it is okay to be alone. Another thing you could do is get a second dog.

yeah train it.................

If you are leaving your dog alone for hours, it's unlikely he'll do anything other than what he is currently doing which is unfortunately, his form of separation anxiety.  

As for using a crate - again if you are away for hours, this is NOT how to correctly use a crate.  No dog should be shut in one, other than overnight when he's sleeping, for much over 4 hours - and actually not left alone for that long on a regular basis at all.  

You'd best find a good day creche for your dog to go to when you are out 'all day'.

Your dog may be feeling stressed when you're not there and has free access to the house. It's never too late to crate train a dog. You can try to gradually get him used to a crate, so he feels safe and confined when you're not home. Dogs feel safer in a pen, or den. Many people also opt for crate covers too. If you have a dog door, you can prop up the opening against the dog door so he has access to the outside if you have to work all day. You should never crate a dog for more than 5 hours at a time, ever. When you get home, you can unlock his crate and leave it open for him to come and go as he pleases. 

So you can give this a shot. For a dog his size, a crate should be in the $20-$30 range. I was not a believer of crate training, but the more I looked into it, the better it sounded and have been crate training my puppy since. He's taking to it like a champ and actually loves his crate. He's in the second fear stage of things right now, and we knew we had done it right when he scared the hell out of himself (he was playing with a toy, it flew out of his mouth and hit the fireplace very loudly) and he scampered into his crate, his safe space. We leave him in there alone for a good 2-3 hours and he's content, not whining, just sleeps or plays quietly. 

Some people think it's cruel, but I think it's going with a dog's natural instinct to den to feel safe. 

EDIT- Sorry, let me be more clear- if your dog is in a crate AND has access to the outside through the dog door, you can leave him longer, like the full day. If he doesn't, don't leave him in there for more than 5 hours.

• Verulam 1

Best practice is not to leave a dog crated for over 4 hours, not 5, on a regular basis.   And I'd never leave a dog with access to outside as he may well be stolen, or howl outdoors and annoy more neighbours.

Have you tried turning on the radio to a talk station like a news channel or npr to make him that he’s not alone. He howls because it’s too quiet so with the radio on it might trick him to think that people are around but he just can’t see them. 

Another option is to put your shirt that you’ve worn on a fan or the air duct so that he can smell your scent. If he can smell you then he thinks you’re around. When your scent fades then he knows you’re not at home. 

Third option is to get another dog. Dogs are pack animals so they like to be around other dogs. 

• Verulam 1

Having a canine, or even feline, companion MIGHT help but you might also end up with two dogs micking off because they miss YOU.

Get another one.

• Verulam 1

Having a canine, or even feline, companion MIGHT help but you might also end up with two dogs micking off because they miss YOU