Laura asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

why is everything so pointless?

right now I'm at a point where I feel like everything is pointless, im desperately trying to enjoy life again but I can't remember a time when I was actually happy or when I sat down without something constantly on my mind. I cannot motivate myself to do anything and find myself thinking that no matter what happens we all end up dead anyway so what's the point? I know this is unhealthy but I can't seem to convince myself otherwise. I am even struggling to find a point in being a good person, since we all end up the same way anyway. I cannot find joy in the things I used to, I have no energy to give to anyone else and I feel like my existence is completely and utterly pointless. anyone else ever felt this way? did it ever go away?

I'm gonna rephrase that to why does everything FEEL so pointless 

This sounds like either an existential crisis of depressive episode. If it's an existential crisis, it will go away eventually. If it's a depressive episode you need to {in the words of Bo Burnham} book a therapy session, talk about your depression! One thing that helps me whether it's a crisis or my depression is taking basic self care very seriously. Get enough sleep {without sleeping for 24 hours straight}, shower, brush your teeth, eat 3 meals a day, etc. Get the necessary help!

Source(s): I'm depressed

I have attached an article that I think could help you with finding purpose in life. I hope it helps!

• Liz

Well everything isn't pointless. Christians have discovered a sure, positive hope by looking into the pages of the Bible.

Spiritual Health Is Vital

The Bible does not indicate that spirituality cures medical problems. Still, many families around the world have derived much comfort and strength from what the Bible teaches. For instance, the Bible assures us that our loving Creator is keenly interested in consoling those who are “brokenhearted” and “crushed in spirit.”—Psalm 34:18.

While the Bible is not a health-care book, it provides practical guidance that can help us to cope with painful emotions and distressing circumstances. The Bible can also give us hope for a future when life on earth will be free of illness and pain. God’s Word promises: “At that time the eyes of the blind will be opened, and the ears of the deaf will be unstopped. At that time the lame will leap like the deer, and the tongue of the speechless will shout for joy.”—Isaiah 35:5, 6.

Source(s): jw.org/What Can the Bible Teach Us?

Well,  if someone is actually clinically depressed and doesn't get therapy,  life will get worse.  Don't be that person.

You are not the first person to think that or feel that. The quote below was written over 2000 years ago, and is part of a much longer text about how empty life can appear to be.

"Vanity of vanities, says the Teacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity. What do people gain from all the toil at which they toil under the sun? A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains for ever. ... All things are wearisome; more than one can express; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, or the ear filled with hearing." [Book of Ecclesiates, chapter 1]

The only satisfying solution is to acknowledge God, because the only way there can be purpose is if there was a Creator who had a particular purpose in mind when he created us. Similarly, unless there is a God to be law-maker and judge, then there is nothing solid on which to rest opinions about what is right and wrong. 

its not, you just feel that way

• Gary

You are worth it. Health issues are made up

See a professional therapist. In fact I saw having temporary lives GIVES it more value, instead of making our work for others seem redundant.

Classic clinical depression. Get to the doctor for medication/counselling and sort yourself out. Good luck. You'll feel brighter soon.