Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

What are some creative ways to diffuse an argument?

So there is a section on youtube that I have frequented on recently due to some friends I have made that are fans of the same show that I like.

This person who I have never spoken to before decided he did not agree with a compliment I had given to another you tube user, and decided to trash their name as well as mine for agreeing with them, supporting what they do, etc.

Here is the argument below. As much as it makes me laugh and pains me at the same time to re-type it out, I will for the sake of understanding this question:

Him: You obviously have no understanding of the political reasons behind this discussion

Me: One main point you are forgetting is that you were not invited to partake in this discussion in the first place.

Him: Something about me being a female, having no brains and need a man to have political arguments interpreted to me

Me: Your head looks like a penis

Him: What? You have no idea what my head looks like in person

Me: No, sir. This is my own personal way of calling you a ********.

It's been a peaceful 24 hours and he hasn't harassed me on any other comment sections yet.

The only reason why I bothered to engage was him was because the two of us visit a chat room frequently, and I wasn't going to let him leave a false bad impression of me nor do I let him (or anyone) insult me due to my gender, sexuality, religion, or anything else. I didn't want to have to dread going online knowing I'd have to see his name pop up, and in a way it was to let him know I wasn't going to take his crap, nor anyone else's. 

I believe that sometimes standing up for yourself was required. When I was a kid I let other people insult me all the time without ever sticking up for myself, and looking back I hated how that affected me in the long run. Now, I refuse to let anyone insult me based on gender, sexuality, religion, etc. Of course, if it was just on any regular website that I hardly went on I wouldn't have given a damn. For some reason you can't simply block people on youtube and never have to deal with them again

• Cas

Sounds like the argument is already diffused.

• g

He probably realized you're a child. That wasnt a "creative way to diffuse an argument" unless you are 12 years old. There was no reason to get into an argument in the first place.

This wasn't 'standing up for yourself'. It was trading childish insults.

Cut off the conversation right away. Who needs it?

And just btw, the word for the situation is not 'diffuse' but 'defuse'.'Diffuse' means 'spread around'. 'Defuse' means 'take the fuse out [of a bomb] so that it's safe'. You wanted to take the heat, the danger, out of the discussion so that it would be safe, so you wanted to 'defuse' it.

• Enigma

with a soft answer/reply

Sounds like two kids fussing over a piece of the pie and as a girl, you will always win in the end....I feel for the guy myself....especially when you two get married....

Why are you even bothering to interact with this guy? Turning to personal insults is tantamount to losing the argument anyway.....and in public? What does that make the pair of you look like? Really? Just don't engage him at all. That REALLY shows your contempt of him and his ideas.