Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Why do people post their novel plots online?

Aren't they worried it will get stolen?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Some people wants people's feedback on the quality of their writing

• 3 weeks ago

I think plots should not come out in that way.

• 3 weeks ago

Apr 25, 2010 - FACT: WRITERS STEAL STUFF Fundamentally, one of my biggest points is that you cannot copyright your ideas or concepts, so by putting stuff online, you are vulnerable. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Agents and editors don't steal stuff; writers steal stuff.

• 3 weeks ago

No, the TRUE writing is in the actual words the author comes up with.

Avatar, Dances with Wolves and Pocohontas are all the same storyline, but each is very different.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Frankly, not many people here do post their plots online.  They post pieces of plot or plot ideas. I could take one or two ideas and tweak them into a story of my own, and they would be different than the poster's story, should the poster write their story.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In most cases they certainly shouldn't be.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If you're good people will still from you.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Probably because they’re looking for input so why not?

You can’t “steal” an idea. You can’t copyright an idea. Ideas are a dime a dozen.   What matters is execution - not ideas.

• 3 weeks ago

maybe they want others to read it

• 3 weeks ago

In my experience, the degree of paranoia exhibited over theft of plots or ideas for stories is inversely proportional to the probability of said plots or ideas being worth the bother of stealing.

Nobody who's capable of turning your plot into something that strangers would pay to read has the slightest interest in taking it and publishing a story that uses it before you can, because they know that the plot represents somewhere between 1% and 10% of the work involved in writing a story. (1% for a novel, 10% for a short story.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.