Bad to plunge kitchen drain?

A handyman once told me to never use a plunger on a kitchen sink drain.I didn't ask him why.

Have you heard this before? Do you know the rationale behind it?

Thanking in advance for answers.

• WOOWHO

Bad to  plunger a "KITCHEN DRAIN "    the location  of the drain in a house  some how has an IMPACT on the functioning  of the drain    a DRAIN is a opening for the flow of  water to the sewer  or septic tank  just like the shower drain or bathroom sink  or toilet drain

never listen to what a handy  man tells you 

• I care

If something is in your garage disposal that didn't go down well,  sometimes backup happens.  I had this happen when very young......as I put celery end pieces in garbage disposal,  and pulling out with turned off for sure...….helps and running water and plunge if needed.  Same in bathrooms...…..always keep a plunger close incase.

• y

I have heard it before, many times. There are a number of reasons for that, some go back to before pvc was typically used.

The only rationale is that this guy was of low intellect. It's the first thing you do with a blocked sink/basin/toilet.

double sinks [with garbage disposal] are not sealed. a plunger used in either side will dimply force water [and whatever] up into the other side of the sink.

yes, i know the vent stack has the drain unsealed farther down and if the plunger's force reaches that far and forces water up the vent stack it isn't going to make a mess anywhere since the stack vents through the roof. [it would, however, imply that a plumber is needed to snake out the drain from the roof using his powered auger/snake.]

Source(s): grampa

.....another possibility:  in most homes, the dishwasher drain is a hose connected to sink drain - perhaps brisk plunging might damage dishwasher valve/pump - - or just be ineffective because of the long hose.

• elhigh

There's no practical reason why you can't plunge a kitchen sink.  If it's a double bowl, you'll need to hold down the stopper on the other side, that's all.

Most kitchen sinks are double sinks and plunging won't do a darn thing. If you have a kitchen sink that's a single kitchen sink. And the plastic pipes underneath it are secured tightly you can plunge. The problem is those plastic pipes are usually put together with very small threads or they're put together with CPVC. And when you plunge on it the joint on the pipes breaks apart. If you've got a clogged up kitchen sink go get yourself a bottle liquid fire concentrated sulfuric acid drain cleaner you can't use it if you've already put Drano in it. Use a wet vac the suction all the water out. Start off with a pint of liquid fire and let it set for a half hour if it still has it broke the clog loose add the other pint. And wait another half hour I've never ever seen a clogged that liquid fire doesn't dissolve.

• olive_r3 weeks agoReport

wow ... does include those fat balls or whatever they're called that can aggregate because of fat having been poured down the sink?

There's no reason NOT to plunge a kitchen sink when necessary, unless the 'handyman' wants you to call him when your kitchen sink gets clogged again.

It is a bit difficult to plunge a double bowl kitchen sink by  yourself, as the drain stopper for the other bowl has to be firmly seated and held in place while the other bowl gets the plunger. I've done it many times.

Source(s): Part-time handyman.