is there a way to transfer all my software programs from windows 7 to windows 10?

or when i use windows 10, will i manually have to download them all again and reinstall them?

i still have a custom built windows 7 desktop pc which i bought in september 2015, in january when microsoft stops supporting windows 7, i plan on getting windows 10 installed on another hard drive in this computer so i have DUAL operating systems....is that doable?

and when i switch to using windows 10, will i manually, one by one have to install all the software applications and programs i had on my windows 7 system?  or is there a way to transfer them all over so i don't have to download them all again and reinstall them?

Yes if you are upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 it will automatically have the programs that are already installed in an "UPGRADE" folder in your C drive. You will be able to use these programs as well or erase them without reinstalling them You will have to go into that "upgrade" folder to create shortcuts though the normal shortcuts you had on the start menu won't be there anymore. All installed programs after the upgrade will go into the program files folder like normal.

Source(s): 20 Yeah of computer building and engineering + 20 Years Certified Ethical Hacking.

You have to install software programs on Windows (any version). Software programs can't be transferred because, unlike the MS DOS days, Windows now has a registry where critical files are placed by the program during installation. The only thing you can transfer are any files you've saved on your computer that were created by these programs

You don't "have" to install Win 10 unless you just want to. Win 7 is going to work for many more years. All that is happening is support (the monthly updates from Microsoft) is going to end. It doesn't mean Win 7 is suddenly going to stop working. If it were me, I'd keep on using Win 7 and not worry about wasting the money on Win 10 until you absolutely have to (i.e, in several years or when your computer finally dies, whichever comes first)

Generally speaking, you can only transfer the software that came with the operating system -third party programs would have to b e re-installed.

• Frank

Get Windows 10 UPGRADE...cross your fingers...back everything UP first...then do the UPGRADE.

• keerok

No other way but to reinstall unless those are portable programs which you can simply copy and paste.

Your win 7 will be just fine, just no more MS tech support or updates.

You update to 10 it will automatically migrate installed software, but not your data files, back those up first.

10 takes the place of 7, alternate OS or another drive means a clean install and a key will have to be bought.

So why can't you clean your Windows 7 of all viruses and malware and use the disk cleanup to make sure there's no junk files do defragmentation then download Windows 10 media installation tool. Download it tear Windows 7 and let it upgrade your computer to Windows 10 it'll save all your programs and all your data. Good luck getting a separate hard drive with Windows 10 on it which is going to cost you money and transferring all your programs over to Windows 10. Do what I just told you to do it's free it will upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything will work right. You already have Windows 7 if your computer can run Windows 10 do the upgrade that I have just told you how to do the way I told you how to do it.

No you can't spam troll. You can copy program folders, but you can't expect all of them to work properly or at all. Programs often write registry entries and/or have hidden files/folders that aren't always easy to track.

On your new W10 install, you will just need to reinstall your programs. However, as we all know, you're just going to spam the same BS again because you need "reassurance".

• P

You are creating a lot of unnecessary expense and hassle for yourself by setting up a separate hard drive.   Currently Microsoft is still activating windows 10 upgrades for free if you convert the Windows 7 install.   When you do the direct upgrade everything is transferred automatically.  If you install windows 10 on a separate hard drive you will have to purchase a licence and then install everything separately\manually.

The upgrade will go fine as windows 10 been out for so long the process is seamless.  

• P

Dave, I have some good news for you.  The official Microsoft free upgrade still works officially activates as a direct upgrade of a Windows 7 install.  I have verified it personally.  I realize that they have announced otherwise, but it's widespread knowledge they never actually disabled activations

• Tasm

I installed Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and it kept all my programs intact.