Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Do you think a lot of people falsely claim mental illness?

I have 300 Facebook friends and they all claim mental illness. A lot of people think they have a mental illness and self diagnose themselves rather than to go to medical professionals with backgrounds in psychology and neurology. Mentally healthy people feel sad sometimes, mentally healthy people feel anxious sometimes. As humans we have emotional variation, that’s normal. There’s this thing called the DSM-5 that is used as a part of diagnosing mental illness. Everybody faces tough times in life that doesn’t mean they have a mental illness. Do you think a lot of people over exaggerate claim mental illness? Like in today’s society depression and anxiety is a trendy thing.

It's certainly over diagnosed by doctors too, they do it so they can give out drugs, it's what they're paid thousands of dollars for by drug companies. They're basically drug dealers in suits.

And of course the new generations of snowflakes  just will not accept that feeling like sh/t alot of the time is a normal part of everyday life and being a human being. Life is not one big party. It's a struggle and we're very rarely ever happy.

Good luck with leaving your ‘mental health’ in the hands of some possibly not even board certified shrink with a copy of the sacred DSM in his or her hands, who’s  getting all of his or her psychiatric drug information from the same companies which manufacture those drugs. Are you serious? Do you even realize that psychiatric diagnoses are incorrect over 50% of the time? Think about that. And based on that rate of misdiagnosis you may be given a drug which can significantly damage your brain and body if taken long enough and in high enough dosages and the wrong combinations, all based upon that misdiagnosis .Yes you can look that up. They’re wrong MORE than half the time. There are no blood tests for any of these so-called psychiatric illnesses. It is all a matter of opinion. DSM notwithstanding. You could ask 10 different psychiatrists or therapists for a diagnosis and you could POTENTIALLY get 10 different diagnoses. If you’re literate, fairly intelligent and a good Googler,  and you take responsibility for your the state of your own mental health, which you are certainly more familiar with than some psychiatrist who sees you for 15 minutes with or w/o the vaunted ‘DSM’, who then gives you a “diagnosis”...then you might actually be BETTER OFF doing it yourself.  I’m not even going to get into the whole issue of whether fairly dehumanizing and anxiety-provoking (traumatizing?) mental health diagnoses and labels ultimately do more harm than good to begin with and I’m DEFINITELY not a fan of chemical lobotomies in a capsule courtesy of ‘Pig’ Pharma, but that’s a whole other talk show...

I agree. I see people post that they're crazy. I've been to prison cause i didn't want to be outside anymore, i've attempted suicide, i'm an alcoholic, etc...i've done crazy things and people go "oh you're nuts"...so they ain't really nuts themselves, they just like to say they are. 

• patty

are they all on welfare?

I have been professionally diagnosed with some disorders. You don’t know who is self-diagnosed and who isn’t, and it isn’t your place to decide who has one and who does not. You have no idea who went to a doctor, and who did not. More of them have been professionally diagnosed than you realize. I also doubt ALL 300 of your friends claim to have one, that sounds like an exaggeration. If it bothers you so much, you can always unfriend or unfollow them.

I have officially diagnosed conditions,  including Bi-Polar w/mania.  Medications alone don't really help all that much.  Schizo-affective and OCD.   All officially dx.

Yes, people do self-diagnose for the most part they are incorrect. Mental health is something we all experience, however it is only considered a disorder if it effects your daily function. For example, we all feel anxious, however this does not mean we have an anxiety disorder. There is a huge difference between someone getting a raised heart rate and worrying about a new job or test etc and someone hiding under their stairs unable to go outside when there’s thunder. I do agree that some people believe disorders may be ‘trendy’ and they enjoy the extra attention if they’re otherwise feeling invisible. I work with offenders and most of them claim mental illness when it isn’t the case; this is usually due to them not wanting to accept responsibly for what they have done e.g “I killed him because I have a personality disorder” it provides a reason for diminished responsibility and guilt 

I think there's a big difference between those with mental illness and those trying to improve their mental health. Most people go to therapy because they want to do better than they are doing, but are not doing all that bad in the first place. Insurance companies insist that everyone who goes to therapy be diagnosed with a mental illness if they want to be covered by insurance.

Trolling trolling

• Papa-G

WHAT KIND OF DEPRESSION?

The effectiveness of any particular medical approach depends on what type of depression a patient has.

Major depression has symptoms that are severe enough to last six months or longer if untreated and that impact on most aspects of a sufferer’s life.

Bipolar disorder is also known as manic depression. Sufferers may experience emotional extremes that careen between prolonged episodes of intense hyperactivity (manias) and devastating lows (depressions).​—See the article “Living With a Mood Disorder,” in the January 8, 2004, issue of this magazine.

Dysthymia, although not as disabling as major depression, has depressive symptoms that make it difficult for the patient to function normally. Some may also experience intermittent periods of major depression.

Postpartum depression is a debilitating emotional condition that affects many mothers after they give birth.​—See the article “Understanding Postpartum Depression,” in the June 8, 2003, issue of this magazine.

Seasonal affective disorder likely occurs as a result of a lack of sunlight during autumn and winter. It usually clears up during spring and summer.