Phil
Phil asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 months ago

Is there any chance at all that Donald Trump could be told that he can not run for President in 2020?

• Tmess2

Chance.  Absolutely there is a chance.  The Democrats will draft articles of impeachment.  It will then be up to the Senate to decide whether to remove Trump from office based on that misconduct.  If they vote to remove him, they can also ban Trump from holding public office in the future (See Article I, Section 3, Clause 7 of the Constitution.)  

Whether or not 20 Republicans see holding up foreign aid approved and appropriate by Congress in order to convince a foreign government to investigate a potential opponent of the President as more serious than lying under oath in a civil case about a collateral matter is the issue.  I am especially interested in seeing how Lindsey Graham reconciles his vote on Trump with his actions in 1998.  I am not holding my breath on getting to 20 Republican votes but anything can happen as more details come to light.

• Tmess2

What can I say, I hope that some Republicans still believe that swearing fidelity to the Constitution means something, but I am rather pessimistic.  Unfortunately for the Democrats, there is no motion for summary judgment on impeachment.

ONLY IN YOUR DREAMS 

• Tepee

None that I can imagine.

• Jeff D

No; at least not by anyone with the authority to do so.

Nope.  

He will not be removed from office.

The farce that is the "impeachment inquiry" is being conducted in an entirely partisan and unfair manner and Americans now understand it really is a witch hunt. That is why I do not think the Democrats can even come up with enough votes to pass Articles of Impeachment. 

and who is going to tell him that?

• Petter

I'm sure he has been told that like a million times, and I'm equally sure mr Trump doesn't give a ****.

It's really your only shot at not losing to him, so give it a try.