What does the ballot look like in Canada for the federal election?

I know this sounds like a dumb question. I voted for the first time ever last month but only the candidates for the premier were on the ballot and not prime minister? Did I do something wrong?

• YKhan
    Favorite Answer

You can only vote for your own riding's candidates for member of parilament. By voting for the same party, you also choose the prime minister (federal) or premier (provincial).

• YKhan

I suppose if you've never voted before, you wouldn't know what to expect.

• Clive

What you're actually doing in a federal election is electing your local member of Parliament to represent your riding in the House of Commons.  So all you get is the candidates for that.  You did nothing wrong and you won't see any of the party leaders' names on the ballot unless they actually are your local MP as well.

The Prime Minister isn't elected.  Once we know the results for the House of Commons, THEN the Governor General appoints the leader of the party that won most seats to be Prime Minister.  Or if that person didn't win in their own riding, the party will have to choose a new leader who DID get elected.  Unlikely, but you can see it could happen.

Yes, everybody goes on about who should be Prime Minister, but that's misleading because it's not an elected post.  All you can do is if you want the leader of Party A to be Prime Minister, vote for whoever Party A put up in your area.  Of course if you don't know how the system works, that will confuse you.  But now you know for next time!  It's not a dumb question, you just didn't know.

Clearly the premier in your province IS a directly elected post so you get the actual names on the ballot.

It's exactly the same here in the UK.  (Guess where Canada got it from!)  We have a general election next month and let's say I want Boris Johnson to stay Prime Minister.  I can't vote for him, only for whoever the Conservatives put up in my constituency.  The funny thing is, I live on a constituency boundary and Boris represents the next one, so if I lived across the road, I COULD vote directly for Boris!  But that's only, strictly speaking, to be my local MP - how many Conservatives get elected in the other 649 constituencies decides whether he carries on as Prime Minister or not.

• YKhan

Premier is just short for Premier Ministre, the French word for Prime Minister.

The election of officials in Canada follows the English or UK parliamentary system.  Local members of a party run against members of other parties for a seat in Parliament in Ottawa.  From all those filled seats, the party with the most is in control of the government of the country.  From those party members, one of them by internal election or agreement becomes the Prime Minister.

In a more local election in a province or territory, people vote by party for the Premier of that province or territory.

• Bob

it has names and circles and you put an x in the circle by the name