Why was this door caulked?!?

I’m looking to move into a new apartment because the building that I’m currently in is facing a mouse problem and I want out. While looking at an apartment today I loveddddd it! However, I noticed that inside one of the closet all around the door is caulked and in the boiler room all around the furnace is as well. I’m praying I don’t have to encounter another mouse problem and when asked the leasing agent why would these areas be caulked she couldn’t answer. 

Are these areas caulked to possibly prevent mice from entering?

• GTB

More likely to prevent cold winter air in

My guess is that the carpentry was done poorly and either noise or draft was bothering someone.

Every house I've ever lived in has had a "What on earth were they thinking" rigged up repair of some sort.   People do weird stuff.   I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of rodents. 

Caulking wouldn't stop mice. I would think it was poor joinery/finish in areas that are not normally seen.

• Henry

I think that doesn't make enough sense. Why would someone caulk everything when it isn't some kind of strange movie?