Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 weeks ago

is it possible to fix your life when you screwed it up so much?

i inherited thousands of dollars which i wasted mostly on cocaine. I could have invested it and gotten a headstart on life. I used to be rich, used to not have to work, and ended up homeless, having to steal to sustain my coke habit, which ended up destroying me. i lost all my friends, lost the trust of my family, and now im left with nothing. I'm working minimum wage. i have no skills and hardly any money.

i screwed up so badly. is it possible to fix my life at this point? i'm 29 years old

Interesting question! Here's the truth that you already know: the mere fact that you are at this point asking the question along with the history is telling. You've already passed one milestone and should be prepared for the next. Even though I do suggest you get into an AA support group you need to keep that head of yours looking ahead without any detours, at this point it doesn't matter that your working minimum wage! What matter is you know where you are and believe me if there is any truth to what you are saying wasting the first 30 years is no big deal! What you do with the remaining 50 is the real question. When I put myself on that narrow path of an honest life I had nothing and I mean nothing! I got a place to sleep, got a job and started reading self help and motivational books and importantly started following the recommendations of the authors of those books... Did it always work out? NO! But it did teach how to reintegrate with life which in turn helped me find my way to new jobs and more money. Even though those motivational readings are occasionally less than inspirational I was always able to find a sliver of something good within the pages. I'm not suggesting any of those type of books but I personally would read and re-read Zig Ziggler (see you at the top series), Og Mandino and one short story book i really liked: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari.

Anyway hook up with a support group so you can learn how to talk and relate to people again and keep getting up so you can get it on... good luck 

Yes of course. You can start from scratch again. Join a community for drugs (like the AA but I dont know what it's called), find something you're passionate in / that interests you. Get an education. You can slowly build up your life again, even if it takes a long time. Don't give up!

I know of someone who had a quarter million dollar a year job, but ended up a cocaine addict and ended up homeless and divorced and couldn't even see his kids. He started from scratch, went to therapy, joined na, got a minimum wage job, and gradually worked himself up to become a store manager, and today he's sober, as an apt., is friendly with his ex, and spends time with his kids. He's around your age. Find a therapist or some intelligent adult who can help you identify baby steps you can take every week, and in a new year your life will be much better. But, be patient with yourself, be kind to yourself, and accept that it will take some time.

As long as your brain is functional like normal people you can 100% comeback. Once depression takes over then it becomes extremely difficult to comeback. In that case you need to fix your depression first before even starting to build your life back. So stop any drugs that you are using while you are not yet mentally sick.

This answer to a similar question got 5 stars. I hope you'll find it helpful. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

of course, while you're still breathing you have another chance.

Yes, even the "nothing-to-losers" can fix their lives into successful ones. The beginning of the new journey is the hardest part and you'll probably hate everybody for a while though. Try replacing your coke with weed btw. Just weed.

My grandpa lived to 100.  He lost all his possessions and wealth 3 times in his life.  He got married at your age, 29 and was married for 71 years.  Lots of hope for you.  No shame in starting from scratch.  

Yes you can do it