Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 3 weeks ago

Are teachers allowed to call students out for errors on their tests in high school?

My teacher today put my mistake on the board infront of the class and told students that I wrote this on the test (it was a calculus error) and called me stupid and told me that I should write the correct form 100 times

everyone heard me, the whole class of 20 kids

• 4 days ago

Most teachers would put a mistake on the board purely as an example, to show them how not to make the same mistake themselves. It was unkind of the teacher to name you, and it was even more unkind to call you 'stupid', but it was not illegal.Most teachers wouldn't do this without cause, so I suspect you may have been giving her a lot of problems for a long time.

• 6 days ago

Not that is not ok. Contact an administrator about this.

I would say that they are "allowed" but it is a very bad teacher who would do such a thing.  Being allowed to do something does not mean it is a good thing to do.

Whether this particular action qualifies as illegal is open to discussion.  I would complain to the principal. What she did is not appropriate, at least if she did what you describe, as you have described it.  Just because she can, does not mean she should.

Well, there is no law or rule that says she can't do that but no teacher is allowed to abuse their students, physically or mentally.

As a teacher, I'd NEVER talk to a student this way and ridicule them in front of the class. I'd ask them if we could talk in private. Clearly, what she did was very wrong especially if she hurt you and your feelings.

You could talk to her about it if you want to or talk to your parents and the principal (if she does it again).

Mistakes are a way of learning. Teachers who don't accept mistakes should not be teachers.

• Greg

Is the teacher allowed to, yes. Should the teacher, probably not.

Well, you can't sue her for slander because it's apparently true.