Samantha asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

What pet can live with Siberian Husky?

My family has a 1.5 year old Siberian Husky. She is a sweetheart, but is also very hyper. I want to get another pet, but my family says it will be dead in an hour. I would likely keep it in my room, depending on the pet. My parents keep saying it will escape and have a very sad death story. Any suggestions of good pets that wouldn't escape? Non smelly is also a plus. :)

Also, advice on how to train a husky to leave a pet such as a bunny, guinea pig, cat or hamster alone would also be helpful. I have been leaning towards bunny, and training advice would be nice.

No ridiculous, rude, non related or non serious comments please.

If anyone has info on good breeds of any of the animals as well, as in, ones that aren't skittish or would be good with larger animals, I would appreciate it.

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

Huskys have a strong prey drive and pets that are smaller can be at risk for being hurt or killed by a Husky.  IF you have a small caged pet, the husky cannot be left unsupervised in the room where the pet is.  Better yet, keep the husky out of your room if you want the smaller caged pet.

• patty

when u move out get whatever pet u want.  A  dog that is so young is going to be very active. Huskies are working dogs so it need a lot of walks and exercise. Basic training will also improve his behaviour. Do u interact with the dog? 

It is VERY difficult to respond without you consider to be a "ridiculous, rude non related or non serious comment" when you don't post the same information twice.  Allow me to repeat what I said the LAST time I answered your post about getting a rabbit (and your plans after you get the rabbit).  That time you "forgot" the disposition of the family dog.  Incidentally, children can't own property, and animals are property in the eyes of the law.  Not your dog, not your rabbit.  I thought you knew all about guinea pigs, and had one that died. - ?

"I don't know you, and I don't know your family, but I do have several questions/concerns.

Does "your" dog currently have access to your bedroom? If so, I think you owe some loyalty to your dog not to "replace him" with a rabbit. Won't your dog smell and think "rabbit!"? Won't the rabbit smell and think "dog!"?

I had a rabbit in a cage with food left at my front door with a note saying that the owner could no longer care for her. I did not know that rabbits can and do smell if their quarters are not spotless. They also chew - and chew - and chew. They can be litter trainer (or so I am told, although I've never seen it), and they require a LOT of cleanup. The rabbit that I took in grew to be over 20 pounds. That's a lot of food and care, and the Vet bills were high. Just getting her teeth filed down periodically was very expensive.

If you have the money for supplies and Vet bills; if you intend not to go on vacation or go away until college until the rabbit dies, then those are good arguments for a rabbit.

If I were your parent I would not want to live with the odor of a rabbit, his droppings, his urine, his food. My rabbit lived outdoors in a heated hutch with a heated water ball AFTER I found out how rabbits chew.

Every family is different. Why/how did the hamster die? That would matter to me.

I would not want a rabbit in my house. Your parents may not feel that same way. "

a blondeginamal

Another Siberian husky (Sometimes) or maybe a Wolfdog

• *****

You could have another dog that's medium to large in size. That is probably the absolute WORST possible breed of dog to have around smaller pets (including cats). Eventually, there will almost certainly be an accident resulting in your dog getting ahold of a small pet and killing it, and even if he doesn't, small mammals can be stressed to the point of death by a dog trying to get into their cage. 

You could probably also safely have fish, or perhaps a reptile kept in a sturdy locked tank that's only unlocked when the door to the room is closed. I would absolutely not bring a small mammal into your home with a Husky.

All dogs are friendly if treated right

Another dog of similar size.

Betta fish are very good, it s impossible for them to escape and they don t smell unless you put your nose right up to the tank. The dog won t be an issue either. I ve had a betta for about two years and I love him so much, he lets me pet him when I put my fingers in the tank.

Another dog.

Fish. 

Horse. 

Cow. 

Pony.