Caitlyn asked in Social ScienceSociology · 3 weeks ago

Why is religion or a belief system so important for a society – answer this question by applying one of the perspectives.?

I need help with this question for sociology. Thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

No idea which perspectives you are referring to, as there are countless sociological perspectives that could be utilized.

However, societies require a sense of unity through shared beliefs, values, and mores.  Religion and other belief systems provide that sense of unity.  

• Bobo
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Because a society includes many people living in the same place and time, those people need guidelines to coexist in such a way as to prosper and perpetuate that society.  If no guidelines existed and everyone fended for themselves, society would not prosper.  The functionalist theory applies whereby society rewards individuals for making the most of their individual knowledge, skills, and abilities that support and enable society to prosper.  By the same token, society punishes detrimental behavior (behavior outside those guidelines) to value good behavior and therefore perpetuate the society.

• 3 weeks ago

Religion is the foundation of a society. Shared religious beliefs create social norms, which are also part of every society. religion is about how family, about morals and ethics, about religious actions, structures affect all levels of society.

Look at the Baha'i Faith.

bahai.us

• Greg
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

People do not handle a lack of information well.  Their minds go toward negatives during a lack of data.  Religions provide explanations of many question and a set of rules to live by.  People find this comforting although there are so many divergent religions.  People do better ignoring/disputing the beliefs of others than they do dealing with "the unknown" or the "not-understood". 

• Henry
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

I say it's not. Jesus certainly ain't appearing when asked to. And the USA is based on secularism, not religion or belief!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Henry
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

I say it's not. Jesus certainly ain't appearing when asked to. And the USA is based on secularism, not religion or belief!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.