? asked in Society & CultureRoyalty ยท 3 weeks ago

How did Enid Blyton portray golliwogs, why are they bad today?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

As offensive racist stereotypes. Blyton's works have been unacceptable for decades, many libraries refused to stock her books.ย ย 

• Enid Blyton's golliwogs were naughty, aggressive, lazy and hung around in gangs. Here in Melbourne the Liberals of the far right portray African migrants in the same way today.ย 

Golliwogs are frowned upon because they represented a negative caricature of black people that mirrored the political opinions of the day and which have still not totally died out.ย If you are going to go into battle to defend children books against charges of racism, try Little Black Sambo rather than Enid Blyton's golliwogs. Although the illustrations and pretext may have been patronising, at least Little Black Sambo used his wit to prevail over the tigers.ย 

• ?3 weeks agoReport

I heard Apex gang in Melbourne invades homes throughout Victoria with machetes

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It's all down to the PC Brigade. I have a golliwog ornament and I am not throwing him away.

• 3 weeks ago

The PC wallies don't approve of Gollywog even though Blyton portrayed him as pleasant.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

They are not offensive, it's just that the badges are banned from work uniforms these days, they may be mistaken for identity badges.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.