What would you think of a woman that brought containers to a pot luck meal and proceeded to fill them to take home?

This is even after she ate at a meal there. When confronted, she said she was taking the food "for a hungry woman" which could mean herself. It just seems greedy to me to take extra food that people brought at therir own expense.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago
    Best answer

It's considered okay to take home the food that you brought.

If the hostess suggests that guests take some of the leftover food home, it would be okay to take one or two meals worth.  Any more than that, particularly if they were high-value items such as roast beef or expensive desserts, would be greedy.

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Its a bit insensitive to do this, I agree, but if she was genuinely 'taking' the food for 'someone', I think she should have waited until the 'pot luck' gathering was over, then ask if she could take some 'leftovers' for a person in need.

• 2 weeks ago

I'd think she was hungry and poor like I am.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

it sounds rude to me too

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

At EVERY pot luck meal or big family meal (Thanksgiving; Christmas) I've ever been at, people bring food in containers. At the end of the evening, they fill the containers with left-overs and take them home with them. The hostess encourages them to do so. The hostess doesn't want to have to be faced with a lot of left-over food and how to dispose of it. She wants to give it away, if she can.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

It's rude, tacky and uncalled for in every way.

• 3 weeks ago

She is very thrifty

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Unless told otherwise, I think it would be inappropriate and tacky.   I can tell you this person won't be invited to my house again.

• 3 weeks ago

Well, was the food going to go to waste otherwise?  Most potlucks I've been to have tons of leftovers and everyone is always trying to give away as much as they can to everyone else.

If she was packing it up before everyone had even eaten or hadn't even bothered to bring a dish then I'd be sure never to invite them again.

• Jerry
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

So shouldn't this lady have waited until food was OFFERED, until someone tried to give away food to her? Not have just helped herself to other people's stuff? 

• 3 weeks ago

No. It's not right. But why are you agonizing over what someone else did?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.