I need help finding a job?

I'm a 19 year old, high school drop out who just recently got their GED. I'm trying to fill out a resume and find my first job, but I have no academic accomplishments, no references, and no experience. Help??? 

• John

Turn looking for a job into a job until you find a job.

You don't need a resume. You need a job. Then work hard, do a very good job and you should move up and get raises in time.  Many McDonalds general managers started as hourly employees and now make 6 figures.

Start with McDonalds....have some good stories to tell in your interviews...

I suggest you don't bother making a resume. I have a resume, and I think it's useless. Why? I have not received any job opportunities from my resume, and it doesn't matter how I write it, and I think a lot of people probably seen it by now. Yes, I have worked before, and my resume didn't help me at all in getting ANY jobs.

What I recommend you do is if you want a job that bad then I suggest first you further your education. I think if you get a college, or university education then that should help you, but you can't stop, and think to yourself well I got a high education now, and I deserve a job, or I am entitled to have a job because I finished school. You're going to have to think of somehow you can sell yourself to other people if you want a job.

voluntary work might improve your job prospects

• martin

If you passed the GED, that's an accomplishment, because it's harder than it would have been to just stay in high school. There are some bosses out there who are aware of that too. Use Craigslist and make a good resume. Be proud of all your activities and accomplishments.

get an employment specialist to help u find a job.

You really don’t need a resume as you have no experience.  You are the prime prospect for any minimum wage job available.  After some experience you might find your talents lie in clerical, sales, a particular skill etc.  When you find where your interests and/or talents are you will be able to prepare a resume and look for employment with a resume in that field.  Got to get some experience that hopefully will make your resume impressive to a prospective employer.  

Congrats on getting your GED!

Try signing up at all of your local Temp agencies.  They have many jobs that aren't advertised publicly and get you into an assignment/company that will train you and then possibly hire you.   Better than fast food or retail stores.