Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

There are rust holes in the trunk of my car is it safe to drive?

My car is 23 years old and there are rust holes in the trunk where you can see the floor. Is the car sill safe to drive? i don't really drive much and the engine and transmission is still good. Should i avoid hauling too many groceries?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Rust in the bottom as if it broke through things would fall that were on it?? I would say it is safe to drive , but don't put anything in the trunk . But you could reinforce it someway , but you would have to make sure it was safe because anything coming out of a vehicle like that is going to create a hazard for drivers . You don't want to do that.

• 3 weeks ago

sounds like a a junker

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

What I do because I am in a rush is put a plastic grocery bag over the hole and if possible the spare tire over that to hold it in place, or a fair size rock that is flat on one surface so it don't roll around.  Or a piece of construction timber or your imagination will have to find something else.  Nothing complicated and that is recycling by reusing the plastic so you help the environment.  Worry about it some other day...if you got roofing tar and some metal then stick that in there instead and that is like a permanent fix. It keeps the exhaust and water splashing up OUT.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The MAIN concern of rust holes in the bottom of the car is that exhaust fumes can find their way into the passenger compartment of the car while you are driving and COULD lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have rust eating through the trunk floor, there is probably rust eating through other parts of the car too. It may be time to retire the car.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Holes are not allowed. Gas exhaust could get into the trunk and eventually into the passenger compartment. CO poisoning is deadly.

• 3 weeks ago

Without inspecting the whole vehicle it is impossible to say whether it's safe t drive or not. Should someone tell you it is and it turns out not to be there could be the possibility of litigation.

Take it to a mechanic who can put it on a hoist and inspect the whole underside of the vehicle.

• y
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Rust holes in the trunk where you can see the floor? I'm very confused by that statement, please explain.

• Are you sure that's the only part that has rust holes?  If it is, it's worth putting a rust inhibitor on what's left of the metal and covering the whole floor with a sheet of plywood.  Then your groceries won't fall through.  The risk is that fumes from the exhaust can get into the trunk and from there into the passenger compartment.  Monoxide poisoning is slow but fatal.

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The trunk is of no concern, but if the cabin smells of exhaust or gasoline it is dangerous.   Excessive rust is more of a concern if it's corroded brake, wheel and axle components that could break off while driving causing a catastrophic failure and loss of control.  Metallic\clanking noises while driving are a sign these components are nearing a breaking point.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You must not have inspections where you live. Just put the groceries up front with you!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.