L asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 3 weeks ago

When changing one's name do you use aka or is the name you chose our permanent name?

when you legally change your name, the name is permanent

• Lita

My favorite actor used aka because he used a screen name but never changed his real name legally so when he signed things like autographs he'd use the screen name but use aka and his real legal name as well.

If you legally change your name, that becomes your new legal name. You don't use aka. When I legally changed my name at eighteen I stopped using my original name and do not use aka.

• helene

You do not use the "aka." That defeats the whole purpose of changing your name in the first place.

If you ever end up on the FBI's Most Wanted list, THEY will use the aka. Not you.

• The name you chose is your permanent name. You don't have to go by your dead name or use aka

• LizB

Are you legally changing your name, or just using a new assumed name or nickname? If it's an assumed name/nickname then you need to keep using your full legal name on anything important (ie, gov't issued IDs, tax forms, insurance, credit applications, etc), but if you've legally changed your name then use your new legal name only. Then whenever some forms ask "is there another name by which you have previously been known?", then you write your former name.