Vehicle oil filters, does brand really matter and why?

Which one is best out of these? Microgard, WIX, Bosch, Mobil, FRAM, K&N, ACDelco

• bobby
    1 week ago

All of those you listed are good except Fram.

• zipper
    1 week ago

They all do the same job, and they all meet a standard filter system requirement. I use Delco or Fram depends on which one is cheaper and on hand at the time.

Use whatever your owner's manual recommends

I never had a problem with Fram,(and the company is not going to make shoddy filters without lawsuits happening...they are not into multiple lawsuits.  Filters do not last forever. But you can go with any brand as they are all basically built the same.  (I have watched the put down on the Fram filter on YT, maybe I will change to a different brand but if it costs double a Fram, then maybe not.  It is up to ME.& what my wallet dictates.

AC Delco for GM

WIX works on many makes of motor.

NO FRAM.

No as long as it isnt fram. But this is just rumour. I've never had a bad experience with a fram filter. 

Source(s): nothing
    • Cap'n. America

I saw a biker demonstrate a Fram 
       missing" the spring. You could pull a string between the center and outer holes--the element was lose and rattling inside. This was befoire Fidgert Spinners..a lotta fun. 

What does your owner's handbook recommend? If you haven't got one look it up online. So long as you get the right type of filter any premium make will do. Why risk your engine for the sake of a few dollars?

• Anon2 weeks agoReport

Engine damage more likely with a leaky filter.  Most engines in good shape really have very little particulates in the oil. 

They all make economy and premium models. Stick with the premium models.

• JetDoc

Pretty much ANY major brand oil filter will work, as long as it meets the engine manufacturer's specifications.

• Ron