Anonymous

Job interview - What am I doing wrong?

Hope someone out there can help me. I've been applying for jobs in the environmental/conservation sector and keep getting interviews but no job offers. I've had 11 interviews this year so far and they all come back with the same response: "Other candidate had more experience", "We'll keep your CV for future jobs" and that's it.

It is getting beyond frustrating. Sometimes, I want to yell at the person giving me the same old feedback but I know they don't know my experience.

I've had one job offer so far but they offered me peanuts; I couldn't eat properly with that salary.

Sorry if this came across as entitled. I just don't know what to do and the feedback they give me is useless. Thanks for any help

• n2mama

If you are getting interviews and no offers, then something about your interview itself is turning off potential employers. Nobody here can tell you what that is, because we haven’t been in any of those interviews. Some common interviewing errors:

-Showing up too early or late for an interview (both are disrespectful to the interviewer and their time)

-Failing to dress appropriately for the job applied for. I once interviewed a candidate for a job who showed up in ripped up jeans and a tank top. Not appropriate, no matter the job.

-Not answering the question the interviewer asks. Some candidates have their own agendas and will speak to that even if it isn’t relevant to what they are being asked

-Coming across as arrogant or a know-it-all in the interview. This can be the words you use, but also behaviors, like interrupting the interviewer.

-Showing no personality or energy in the interview, or having nervous habits like bouncing a leg or biting nails.

So reflect on the interviews you have had and your attitudes and actions. Can you think of anything you do that would have impacted this? You also could ask a trusted friend or family member to do a mock interview with you and give you brutally honest feedback.

• Tavy

You say 

They don't  know your experience, SO why have you not detailed it on your CV.

• David8 months agoReport

I have. If I didn't, I wouldn't be getting any interviews. I'm just confused as I can't gain work experience without working and the vague, same old feedback

You forgot to tell us why other candidates had more experience.  What did you do for work experience while you were at university and what have you been doing since?  My children all did tons of internships and temporary jobs before and during undergrad/master's.  An empty resume tells the interviewer a great deal about you.  It tells him you have not shown a high level of commitment to the sector and it shows him that you lack direct experience of what the job involves.

I would have taken the peanuts job offer.  Another possibility is to volunteer with a local conservation group.  Do that full time for six months, should solve the problem.

• David8 months agoReport

Thank you. Been doing it for a year with no success but hopefully next year I guess..I really need a proper permanent job!